Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Hood Release Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM

I've heard this is pretty common issue with the Rodeo, but my 1997 hood release is no longer working. Does anyone know how to adjust it? I can no longer raise my hood without someone to help me.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 03-27-2007, 12:30 PM

My 99 hood wouldn't pop up when released. I adjusted the two rubber springs located on the front two corners of the hood. The two springs look like a round piece of rubber with threads, you just turn them to raise them or lower them.If you raise them up a couple of threads per side your hood should release.The trick is to get your hoodlines to still match up with your hood still releasing from the mechanism. It will probably take all of about 5 minutes.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the info! I will give it a try. I had read other posts that mentioned adjusting these, but I never could find them. I was looking around the latch area, and not in the corners.

Sounds like these rubber springs aren't really adjusting the cable tension, but the tension of the hood on the release mechanism when closed. The hood was damaged several years back and doesn't line up perfectly anyway. Which may also be the time when the hood quit opening. Not real sure as it is my wife's vehicle.

Rob

Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 PM

exactly... I never adjusted the cable itself because this was the easy way and it worked. the springs or gromets or whatever you want to call them should be at the front just above the headlights. good luck.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM

i have 2 rodeos and both hoods while driving have alot of movement, i know its latched and there no latching issues, just werid these have so much play in them, i tried adjusting everything, and i guess thats how they are. kinda scary when cruzing the hwy and when you hit bumps you see the hood move.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Well, I tried adjusting the two rubber springs in the corners of the hood, but no luck. I adjusted them as far as I could and still get the hood to latch, but the inside release still would not work.

Is there a way to adjust the cable tension somehow???

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM

I don't know if the cable can be adjusted or not. I would cautiously asume it can but best check with isuzu or saturn saab if in canada and they should be able to advise you. The guys at my local dealership have been pretty helpful and advice is usually free. Post what you find out, I'm curious to hear incase I need to do the same.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Look at the latch and the bar that runs from it to the lower radiator support (usually the grill also attaches to it). Make sure there is a bolt attaching that bar to the latch. For some reason sometimes they disappear and causes the same problems. I know of a few rodeos that its happened to.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:38 PM
Default Hood release

Originally Posted by spence121
My 99 hood wouldn't pop up when released. I adjusted the two rubber springs located on the front two corners of the hood. The two springs look like a round piece of rubber with threads, you just turn them to raise them or lower them.If you raise them up a couple of threads per side your hood should release.The trick is to get your hoodlines to still match up with your hood still releasing from the mechanism. It will probably take all of about 5 minutes.
I believe this fix is from 12 years ago but it worked like a charm on my 99 Trooper today. Well done!