Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Help with audio system

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 AM

I''m a new member. I just posted a hello in the new members area, but my main reason for joining tonight is to ask about the sound system in my 2000 Rodeo.

I bought my car from a used car lot. I''m not entirely sure which version I have. Some aspects make me think I have the base model, but some parts make me think I have the most deluxe model.

Up until recently, I had a 6 disc CD changer, am/fm radio and cassette. I have power locks, power windows, security system. All of this would indicate I have the deluxe. But I read I should also have a moonroof, which I don''t.

I just replaced the stock stereo with a JVC deck with HD Radio (I''m loving the HD Radio, btw). it''s the KD-HDW10. Once I got that put in, it just pointed out how horrible the stock speakers are. The front speakers sound hollow. Like there''s a ton of trebble, a bit of thump in the lower bass, but absolutely nothing in the midrange. The rear speakers near the roof of the rear door seem blown.

Which brings me to my question. I ordered the stereo from crutchfield.com. Their options for the vehicle are the 4 speaker system, 6 speaker with pocket below the factory stereo and 6 speaker with no pocket. Shouldn''t I have a 6 speaker system? But in the back seat doors, there doesn''t seem to be any speakers or speaker grills. Just solid flat tan plastic. But it seems like the 4 speaker systems should be in the front doors, the back seat doors and the hatch (for lack of a better term).

So which do I have? Do I not worry about the back seat doors? Is it possible/recommended to custom install speakers in the back seat doors?

Thanks all,

Dominic

PS: God, my speakers sound bad.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 PM

You have the 4 speaker system like I do (5.5" speakers and tweeters in front doors, 4" speakers in the cargo area). The 6 speaker system had 5.5" speakers in the rear passenger doors.

I replaced my front speakers with some JL Audio TR650-CSi component speakers. HERE is a write up on installing them. I elected to modify the door plastic to fit the speaker in (cut a groove along the top for the speaker to slip into) instead of trimming the speaker like visionaut did.

In the rear I used some matching JL Audio 6x9" speakers in cheap walmart boxes...

Name:  Img_0333.jpg
Views: 3813
Size:  48.6 KB

My buddy Mike (prototype on planetisuzoo) used some MDF to make stand offs to mount some 6x9''s where the factory 4" speakers go....

Name:  IMG_0607.jpg
Views: 3868
Size:  55.3 KB

Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 PM

Here is my solution:

I changed all factory speakers for better-quality ones, but same size. In addition i install a all in one subwoofer
This woofer makes the difference. Not super-bass like Gizmo, but this woofer fits under the driver seat! Easy installation and good quality. Just enough so that it sounds full and good, even with windows cracked open.

This woofer rocks if you just want to improve quality.

<http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OopVnsN...pp/Product/Ite m/Main.aspx?g=51000&i=023THB200A&c=3&tp= 114>

Only slight problem i have is alternator noise. Cant get rid of it (think its my lack off skills in these things) but i just crack up the volume and it is gone.....

Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 AM

vincenelly, I tried to check out that crutchfield link for your subwoofer, but for me, it said "We''re sorry,
the page you have requested cannot be found."

Gizmo, I''m still window (web) shopping. It''s probably going to be several weeks/months before I can afford to get new speakers. I just had a couple questions for you:

1. I''ve been looking at speaker install posts on planetisuzu, including the one you linked to. It sounds like there are differences in the speakers between your isuzu and my 2000. Mine is a 2nd gen, right? And yours is a first gen? Are there any good references to look up EXACTLY what sizes work in mine and what mine has stock?

2. I''m starting to see suggestions that my rodeo''s stock speakers are component. Is this correct? Do I have seperate tweeters and not even realize it. I''ll look for them when I go to work tomorrow. I don''t think the stereo place hooked them up when installing my head unit. Any pics of this?

3. Oh yeah, and I''m also seeing things that say that my stock setup has an amp. I don''t think the stereo installers hooked that up either. Is it built into the stock stereo or is it a seperate unit?

I''m just trying to learn as much as I can before I jump into anything I''m not prepared for. Rather than having speakers professionally installed (I have 0 competency when it comes to tools and drilling and dremels, etc - I don''t trust myself to do any installations), my brother, however, is a contractor, a motorcycle guy, and a good auto mechanic. He installed speakers in my mom''s car a few years back. I''m planning on sending him information and asking if he''d be up to doing it.

Thanks
</font>

Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 AM

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...in.aspx?g=5100 0&amp;i=023THB200A&amp;search=subwoofer&amp;tp=1 14

try this one (when i clicked on the link i previously send you i got the same error.
If this does not work, search or google:
Blaupunkt THb 200A powered subwoofer

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Both our rodeos are 2nd gen, mine is just an early 2nd gen.

''91-92 early 1st gen
''93-95 1st gen
''95.5 mix of 1st gen and gen 1.5
''96-97 gen 1.5
''98-99 early 2nd gen
''00+ 2nd gen

Confusing but thats usually how they are refered to.

The only difference in speakers between ours is yours might have speakers in the rear passenger doors, mine doesnt. The are the same size as the front door speakers but without the tweeters. The front speakers are indeed component speakers. The tweeters are behind the grills near the top of the door panel. They are wired to the larger speakers so no way to not hook them up just by replacing the head unit. I''ve never heard of a factory amp, its built into the head unit.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 AM

Thanks a lot, Gizmo. That helps tremendously. And sorry for doing the " when I meant to do ''''. Ha. Yeah, I saw the tweeters in my Rodeo. I''''''''''''''''m anxious to get these replaced.

Anyway, one last thing and I''''ll leave ya alone. I know with the 1st gen, it seems that you either have to redrill holes for 5 1/4" speakers or do some modifications to fit 6 1/2" speakers in the front. I''''ve seen a few different posts (yours and visionaut</span></span> in that thread you put a link to) talk about this, but I found one person (somewhere, can''''t remember where) said that 6 1/2" fit in a 2nd gen just fine with no modification. Which is right? I figured your post was based on a 1st gen, so that''''s why I''''m confused.

Thanks so much,

Wackman

PS: I think my keyboard is dying. I even tried to edit to remove the extra '' and it keeps adding instead. Grrr.
Edited by: wackman

Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM

You will have to modify the top edge of the speaker or the door panel a little to fit 6.5" speakers. Will also need longer screws. I used the ones that came with the speakers which were a little too long so I also trimmed back the metal of the door. Could just cut down the screws too.

Name:  Img_0318.jpg
Views: 4067
Size:  41.3 KB

I also modified the speaker grill like visionaut did to make sure it didnt interfere with the speaker cone.

And, its not your keyboard. This site seems to have a quotation mark fettish. Does it to everyone.
Name:  Img_0319.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  60.1 KBEdited by: Gizmo42