Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

'96 Rodeo: Turn Signal/Backup Light/Hazard Fuses keep blowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Default '96 Rodeo: Turn Signal/Backup Light/Hazard Fuses keep blowing

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I apologize for asking troubleshooting questions already but I am really stuck.

My turn signal/backup light fuse blew and for some reason that causes my power windows to not work (even though the breaker isn't thrown). Also the hazard light fuse blew. I replaced the flasher relay thinking maybe that was causing the short/fuse blowing. No luck there. I replaced the fuses in both places (Back up/Turn and Hazard) and as soon as I used either of them, they blew again. The windows work as long as the turn signal fuse isn't blown.

Anyone have any ideas at all? This vehicle has had very strange electrical problems since I got it, but I haven't been able to track it down.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM

I'd check for severed/crossed wires shorting something out. My fuse for the signals and running lights, etc. kept blowing on me as well. I found out that I had severed the wires running to the rear for trailer lights, and they were crossed.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. Any idea where I should start looking for the short? It blows every time I put the turn signal on...

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Here's a brief intro to checking for shorts:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6391797_short-circuit.html

But obviously the problem is appearing on that lighting circuit. I would follow the harness around the car and see if you can find anything clearly visible, such wires that are stripped and touching either surrounding wires or metal. Basically look for anything unusual.

I'd start by checking the wiring going to the bulbs you're having problems with. It's probably not an issue with parts of the harness that are well protected. It might be as simple as splicing in a new section of wire. Or it could be more complicated.

I'm no electrical expert, unfortunately. So if you have a friend that is and that could assist you, you may have better luck. Thankfully in my case it was easy, and I hope the same for you!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Hey thanks for all the info, I guess I have my work cut out for me

Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Yeah, like I said, wiring problems kinda suck! Haha but some people like to mess around with them. I would if I knew more.

If you can get a hold of the wiring diagrams, that would also help. A Haynes manual would have some of them.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM

I had the same prob... Here's what you do.
Get a multimeter, if you rodeo is like mine you will have 3 bulbs reverse, tail/brake lights, turn signal.
(from top to bottom)
Check to see you voltage with lights on, lights off at the bulb, then same for brakes, turn signals etc. With them off you'll see anywhere from 0 to maybe 350 millivolts with power running to that particular bulb, somewhere around 12 volts (not millivolts) look for anything outside those parameters. If you do find something outside this range, you have at least singled it down to one side/ one bulb and perhaps 1 to 2 wires. Check your bulb sockets....ended up this was my problem. I just bought some generics and made them work until I could order new taillight housing with a new socket/harness (plug n play) do you sockets have ANY heat damage? Even if it doesn't, the resistance could be very high.
Start there, I bet you'll find the culprit, if not let me know.
Good luck, electrical problems suck!
Sean

Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies, it ended up being super simple. I hit a deer a while back and the blinker on one side was crushed. The reason I hadn't thought of that before is it just started happening and the accident was months ago. Anyway, the contacts on the fixture were contacting and shorting. Just pulled the old crushed bulb out and it works great.

@hr2burn thanks for those instructions anyway, I'll definitely keep those around in case I have another problem like this.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Yep, always check the simplest things first =).