Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

2001 Rodeo Transmission OD Inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:58 AM
Default 2001 Rodeo Transmission OD Inoperative

Hi Everyone!
Our 2001 Rodeo had a transmission fluid leak that would have it losing enough fluid to slip out of gear upon launch -- we finally got that fixed, only to have other issues arise:
When driving around on city streets the transmission appeared to behave normally. Once you moved to highway driving, it would not shift into overdrive. Eventually a "Check Trans" light would come on, and after that it would shift into overdrive. This would stay on until the engine was shut off for an extended period of time, only to reappear the next time it was driven on the highway. Eventually the transmission would not shift into overdrive and the "Check Trans" light would not come on.
Another item we discovered was that there was no "engine braking" when you took your foot off of the accelerator: it was like you shifted into neutral. When you put your foot back on the accelerator the transmission would catch and the Rodeo would drive normally (just not in overdrive).
I've had a shop tell me it's the computer, but I've had no concrete response as to exactly where this computer is. Online searches seem to be just as confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.