Pickup Talk about Isuzu Pickup related topics here...

Brakes work without a cushion, unsafe!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Default Brakes work without a cushion, unsafe!

Hey! In my 94 P'up on a trip to the N.Ga Mtns my brake booster died. The engine would start to stall when the brake was applied, then the brakes gave out, if I recall correctly. We disconnected the booster to get it home. Bought a booster from a junkyard and installed it. Brakes were now almost totally out of cushion, but when depressed to the floor they will still make the tires squeal to a stop. There isn't enough fine control to be safe on the road by my standards. Do I need to adjust the brake booster rod???

I thought I needed to bleed the brakes. I bled clockwise starting with the passenger front. Actually replaced the bleeder valve when I bled the driver side front. Didn't keep the engine on until bleeding the that one as a matter of fact (recall reading that might have caused problems for some people). Didn't really pump when I bled the brakes, just let them bleed until I was sure that it was affected the level in the master cylinder, tightened, refilled and moved to the next one.

Still no dice. Bad master cylinder? Brake booster I replaced isn't any good? Still need to try to bleed the lines???

I want to try every fix before I spend anything for a mechanic. Thanks!