New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

Hey from Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 AM

Well, I just bought a 1992 Pickup 2.6L 4x4 5spd that turned over 100k miles as I was test driving it.

I work on all of my own vehicles, and will be turning wrenches on this truck as well. I've noticed that there really isn't as much good info on Isuzu vehicles online as the other vehicles I drive (diesel VW and gas Volvos.) I bought a Haynes manual for it last night, so it should be here in a few days.

So, if any of you could help point me in the right direction, I'd like to find any sort of tech info or history of the 2.6L engine. I've read all over that the heads on these things crack easily, but I haven't found anyone mention the cause, or ways to prevent it? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to tell if my engine was made in the USA versus Japan? Finally, is the engine an interference engine? The first thing I'll probably do to the truck is change the timing belt, since most people never do them, and I like to keep my vehicles at 'stage zero.'

Thanks for any information! The truck runs pretty well (given the price I paid) and I replaced my 2wd 1994 Ford F150 with it. I was looking for something smaller that I could use as my daily driver. The 4x4 was an added bonus, and I love the fact that the stock wheels and tires are bigger than similarly priced Rangers and S10s. Toyota was out of the question because people price them too high.

My dad use to drive an 84 Mazda B2000 and my friend had an 86 Isuzu P'up at the time (both were pretty similar) so I am already feeling at home in this little truck.

Here's a photo of the beast:

Edited by: luketrash