General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

What the??? Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:24 PM

I have a 94 Rodeo that doesn't like to start unless the pedal is to the floor. While stumbling and snorting black smoke; it might decide to run when I release the pedal. ( half hour yesterday in the parking lot on 100 deg. day) If I get that far I am in great shape, only aftera couple minutes like this and the check engine light comes on. Once the light is litit settles down and I can drive it. I verified the code with pin 1 and 3 jumped. Looks like 23. Air intake temp sensor. I do have 5 volts at the sensor and it OHM's aot at 0.8243. I am fairly sure the sensor is bad and the vehicles problem goes away once the default setting kicks in. HOWEVER; I am like everyone else and would like to troubleshoot further OR get my thought process confirmed so that I get the root cause and not end up throwing parts (and $$$$) to get this fixed. THANKS Ray

Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like if you have to step on the gas before it starts,an it has black smoke its definatly running too rich.air temp sensors are cheap an easy too replace ,ive seen a few go bad also.along with coolant temp sensors.i would go for that first.it does play a big role in fuel managment.but to be sure you do need a scan tool to really diag good.if thats the only code it had go for it.or unplug it.an see how it starts up then.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:40 PM

I did try starting it with AIT sensor unplugged, It didnt change the symptoms. Coolant temp Huh???[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

have you replaced it yet

Old 06-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

are you sure thats the only code that sets? the only others ive seen are the map sensor an oxygen.look under the drivers side floor board.an try unplugging the o2 also.if theres oil all over it....it too will give the same symptom from contamination

Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 PM

Hi, I went to get the AIT sensor today at Buick. They told me there isn't one on that vehicle. What IS the sensor in the front right side of the plenum; It has 2 wires that connect to it Blue/Black Black/White; There is 5 volts at it. Also, The Buick guy talked me into replacing the Coolant temp sensor, (It was cheap) I have it and my Haynes manual says Near the back of the Left cylinder head, Must be my other left, I cant find it. Any takers on helping me find it??? Thanks

Old 06-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

the air temp sensor is on the right side of the intake,beside the map sensor.only has 2 wires going to it.the coolant temp sensor is not easy to get too,unless you have small hands.its in the back side of the engine behind the right clyinder head.near the heater hoses.the trick to getting to it.take loose the trans mont bolts at the cross member an jack up the trans to tilt the engine foward this will give you another 5-6 inches of room ,then just use a deep well socket an a long extension.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Thank you.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] I have both sensors and finally found the coolant temp sensor. the top of the sensor is broken. I plugged in the new one and it started as it should. I guess I know where I will be on Sat. I figured there had to be a way to make some room back there.