Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

2001 Rodeo Stalling at low idle - help!

Old 10-31-2005, 05:38 PM

HELP...I have a 2001 Rodeo that I love but a few weeks ago, it began stalling when I applied the brakes to slow down or come to a stop. Sometimes it does it as soon as I apply the brakes and sometimes it will idle fora few seconds before it stalls.

It starts right back up and drives fine as long as I don't slow down or stop. I have taken it to 2 shops and a Isuzu dealership and noone can tell me what is wrong with it. The dealership was no help at all and told me there were no codes being displayed.

Any idea what could be causing this? You help is very appreciated.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:44 AM

i have similar problem with my 2000 . it has 175000 km. and purchased used a year ago. the stalling just began a few months ago. so far it has stalled on me 4 times but it is happening more frequently. i wonder if the fuel has anything to do with it ? ( carbon build up in the injectors ? ) i have no mechanical knowledge and its just a guess. what grade fuel are you using in your vehicle ? i hope someone out there has the solution. i hate having to start my vehicle at the stop lights.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 PM

Mine only has 76000 miles and I bought it new about a year ago too. I have always put 87octane fuel in it. My husband initially thought it was the fuel but then I put 93octane in it and the stalling continued. It happens every day - at least once a day, sometimes more and it is very frustrating. I am at a loss since the Isuzu dealership can't even help me. Hopefully someone will help us out. Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

RODEO'S AN TROOPERS AMIGOS VEHICROSS AXIOMS ARE COMMON FOR HAVING INTAKE GASKETS LEAKS.MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE A VACUUM LEAK AROUND THE INTAKE.IT WILL IDLE ROUGH AN STALL,YOU SHOULD BE ALSO TO HEAR IT,AN CHECK THE I.A.C. MOTOR,IF YOU HAVE ALOT OF MILES,IT CAN STICK WITH CARBON,REMOVE,CLEAN OR REPLACE IT.ANY CARB SPRAY CLEANER WILL WORK.AN ONE MORE THING.THE POWER STEERING PRESSURE SWICH.THE PCM.USAUALLY RASISES THE IDLE WHEN THE SWITCH DETECTS HIGH P.S. PRESSURE.JUST DISCONNECT IT.IF YOU LOOK BESIDE THE POWER STEERING PUMP YOU,LL SEE A LITTLE GRAY CONNECTOR,UNHOOK IT.IT WONT HURT ANYTHING AN WONT TURN YOU CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON EITHER.GIVES MORE PROBLEMS THAN ANY GOOD.THE DEALER SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THESE THINGS ALREADY......ANYMORE QUESTIONS WRITE BACK. Edited by: ISUZUGURU

Old 11-06-2005, 01:42 AM

thanks for the tip.will check mentioned areas but i do not know what or where the iac motor is. will also hunt out the pcm ( ? ) switch.

jake

Old 11-07-2005, 12:20 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am working on trying each of them but so far, still stalling. Will let you know when I finally get it. Any further suggestions are welcome.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

be sure to check for vacuum leaks around the intake.the i.a.c. motor,is at the side of the throttle body near the plastic intake hose.it has 4 wires going to it.also when the problem happens you can run under the hood an tap on it to see if changes the idle.all 98 to current isuzu p.c.m. are self adapting,which means if theres a problem, the computor will self compensate,once you correct the problem it will re-learn to the correct specs.some one else mentioned octane requirement,the correct octane is 89.anymore could be harmfull.there also is a pcm reprogram for rodeos with high idle concerns that the dealer can only perform.dont be scared of your local dealerships,isuzu's are very tempermentel,they require original equipment parts to perform correctly.an not many garages maintain these vehicles correctly.O.E. parts are high priced,but like the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:00 PM

TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER AND TELL THEM TO LOOK AT THE EGR

VALVE FOR IT STICKING

Old 11-16-2005, 07:33 PM

TRUST ME! REPLACE YOUR MAS AIR FLOW SENSOR!!!! IT WILL FIX IT!

A friend of mine replaced his a few months ago and I replaced mine yesterday. We were having thesame problems check engine light, cold stalling, reving high and running kinda rough. His was a 98 5-speed and mine a 99 auto. PROBLEM FIXED!!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Get one at Advance auto or Auto Zone cost 99 bucks after the core charge and takes 10 minutes to swap out the old one. Dont forget to remove the positive side of the battery terminal for 30 minutes to reset the computer.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:12 AM

Definitely have a mechanic check the EGR valve. That was what was wrong with mine. Let us know what you find out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Rodeo Stalling at low idle - help!