General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Lower engine knock & findings in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Just to make a short story short. I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper that my neighbor had for 1 year (bought used) and drove one day while disregarding the oil light. He went to one shop and they quoted him at a new engine and nothing else for $4,000.00, so he decided to let it set. I became the new owner 1 year later. Here is what I can tell you. He did drive it for about 20 miles after the light came on and noticed the knocking sound, then he parked it. After a year I started it and noticed a knock for about 5 seconds then a normal idle. The only time when the knocking sounds is at 2,000+ rpms. At first thought... I was thinking rod bearing, then I decided to pull the smaller part of the two piece pan gaining access to the oil pump. What I found is to medescribed as little bits and pieces of aluminum. I even went as far as to put a magnet up into the access hole for the oil pump and found several more pieces of what I described above. Now here is my issue... I have to pull the entire front differential just to get to the whole oil pan to really see what is going on. Not to mention... there are ZERO local part stores that have access to rod bearings if that is what it is. I know these 3.5 DOHC 24 valve engines are known for this. Can anyone give me some incite or speculation on the tasks ahead? I am including a picture of my findings.[img]uploads/rhillman75/UNI_0778_320x200.JPG[/img]