General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Just a few hp ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Default Just a few hp ...

I'm not really gullible but once in a while I wonder. This is one of those times.

I have an 89 2.6 5sp. If I had just 10 - 15 hp between 2500 and 4000 rpm's I'd be a happy camper.

I saw this little electric, axial flow fan that is inserted into the intake. When it's running it supposedly slightly pressurizes the intake, a little single speed electric turbocharger.

OK, fess up, who's tried em. For $30 I'm betting somebody has. If not I might have to just to satisfy my curiousity. I'll try to find the link.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM

well its not good man you are really huh

Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by carlover
well its not good man you are really huh
Thanks for the helpful comment. Take another hit and go back into whatever zone you live in.

Last edited by lucky guy; 01-16-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 AM

I don't know. There was this thing floating around that was called the vortex or something like that. It was supposed to force the air into a vortex that supposedly cause more airflow, thereby improving performance and mileage. Funny thing is, if it worked that well, I would think you would see them in the front window of every auto parts store.

There was this other product that would magnetically re-align the molecules in your fuel, increasing it's efficiency blah, blah, blah.

It seems that the horsepower improving products that do work, have a tendency to stick around.

If all you are looking for is 10-15 hp, I am going to suggest, a tune up with a little hotter plugs, whatever ignition upgrades you can find(coil, igniter, MSD module) improve your airflow(cold air intake, high flow filter) and possibly exhaust. And after all that, switch to premium fuel.

I haven't done much research concerning my Trooper, but what I have done has led me to believe that there is virtually no aftermarket support for these vehicles. So a little ingenuity may be required.

And then, after all that, you may or may not have your gain. You will gain some, but how much kinda depends on how far you go. I cut out my factory Catylitic converter and did a high flow exhaust system, and it felt like a 20hp gain. I know it wasn't but it felt like it. And it sounds good too.

Oh, and as long as I have been working on cars, I have yet to see the investment in any bolt on power upgrades, pay for themselves in fuel savings.

Just my $.02