Axiom Talk about Isuzu Axiom related topics here...

Sometimes engine will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:07 PM

Sometimes the engine will not start. It will crank as usual for about 1.5 seconds then nothing. By nothing I mean the engine is not running nor is the starter turning. I take out the key and try again but usually nothing happens. The dash lights light up but thats it. I have a Scan Gage and no codes come up. If I wait for about 15 seconds then try again it will crank the engine again either for 1.5 seconds or it will start the engine in the normal 1.5 to 3 seconds cranking. It doesn't do this all the time. Sometimes not for a week, sometimes 3 times/days in a row. Doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot or wet or dry out or what the outside temp is. It seems to me the computer is shutting down the engine, just my guess. The battery and connections are good. Anybody have any thoughts on this. 2004 Axiom XS 20k miles. No other electrical problems.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 PM

First thing to check is the grounds, one at the battery tray and one at the alternator bracket. If they are ok then you may have a an issue with the immobilizer system. That system will need to be checked at you Isuzu dealer.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:40 AM

Checked all underhood grounds. Like new and tight. It has happened only once since my last post.(29April07). My local dealer folded so the next closest one is about an hour drive. Will have to figure out a way to get it to them. From what I read in the service manual and online I cannot disable the immobilizer system because it is intergrated to the electronics of the Axiom.

Paul