Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Engine rebuild or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 PM

I have a 1998 Rodeo, and it is burning oil bad. It has started to misfire really bad the last couple of weeks, and is all but undrivable at this point. My question is this, what would be the better route? To have the enginge rebuilt, or try to have itreplaced outright? I really like this truck and do not want to sell it unless I have to. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 AM

I''ve had my 98 Rodeo for a while too, but the head gasket started leaking. I tried replacing the head gasket, but the head bolts on my motor felt like they were seized in.

Short story: I just bought a motor and am swapping it out.

Long story: The head bolts are round on the outside and with a hex slot, so you''ll need a good allen key and breaker bar to try taking off the head. I ended up stripping the insides of the head bolts after several failed attempts to remove the head bolts.

These motors are NOT cheap. I bought mine used for $1700+. If it''s valve seals, you can attempt to remove the head and rebuild it. I think a head gasket set with HG, valve seals, and all cost around $75 or so on ebay. Head work/valve job(if you choose to do it at the machine shop) might cost you around $300.

If it''s the pistons/rings, I''d say just buy a new/used motor. Unless you''re going to soooop it up, I''d just get a low mileage motor from someone like Attarco. Not sure if you have Attarco near where you live. Good luck.