Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

parts available to rebuild engine?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Default parts available to rebuild engine?

I just bought an 86 Trooper that needs the engine rebuilt; am I going to have problems finding rings, bearings, head gaskets etc. in which to rebuild the engine?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Default 18 lookylous and no answers?

Eighteen people looked and nobody can reply?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM

EngineEngineSorry, I replied to a differnet thread on your reply. Let me know what other type of information you need and I will try to help.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM

EngineEngine

Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Thank you for your reply NEUWBEA. I will get back to you shortly
Ken

Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 AM

I am a new owner of an 86 Isuzu Trooper; but one problem that kind of jumps out at a new Trooper owner, is the frequency of overheating problems; resulting in blown head gaskets and worse. My new purchase is in the blown headgaskets and worse catagory. I read a short article that stated the design of the heads on the early Troopers was faulty and the cause of many of these overheating problems. it stated that the problem had been taken care of in the newer models. Now my questions.

Other than standard maintanence like correct timing, spark plug heat range, and maintanence on all belts, etc.,are there any other tricks or modifications that can be done to reduce the frequency of these overheating problems?
Is there another larger radiator, from any kind of vehicle, that will swap in without a lot of alterations done to the Trooper?
In my younger hot rodding days of the 50's we used to have things done to the heads like porting and relieving, milling a few thousands off the head, and we installed after market cams ranging from radical to mild RV type cams, can whatever Isuzu did to the heads be duplicated by a good machine shop, will those newer "Improved" swap with the troublesome older heads? Are there any thoughts or ideas at all on improvements of any kind that will reduce, or eliminate, this frequency of overheating. Mine has one of the hydraulic clutch fans on it; so that will be one of the first things I have checked to make sure it is working all the time.
Since mine is a basket case with the engine and all bolt ons tossed in back of the rear seat haphazardly, I can't check this thought out yet, but is there any room in the shroud surrounding the fan for a slightly larger fan, or one with more blades
available for a swap?
You get the idea of what I'm asking; are there ANY mods of ANY kind that a person can do to help prevent this overheating problem; something that doesn't cost a fortune or take a degree from MIT to accomplish?
Lastly, is there any kind of engine swap with a common inexpensive engine that can be done that will help eliminate the overheating problem? I couldnt afford an engine swap right now anyway; but it's a thought.
When I was a kid I used to drop so many trannys from poor speed shifting, and tear chunks out of the clutches for the same reason, that we put a zipper around the tranny to make it easier and quicker to work on; I guess if all else fails I can put a zipper around the head and intake manifolds. lol
This topic has probably been beat to death in this forum, but I thought it worthwhile to see if someone has some kind of magic formula, like dancing naked around the Trooper in the dark of the moon while sprinkling toad sweat on the engine.
At 75 I am too darn old to be rebuilding another engine; so if anyone has any ideas please give them.
Regards
Ken