Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Question Transmission trouble

I have a 1995 Trooper LS with a 3.2L SOHC engine and an automatic transmission. 180,000 miles.

I replaced the alternator in the car less than a year ago, but over the past few weeks I noticed the charge dropping, along with the battery light coming on, and the alternator needed to be replaced again (I blame this on power steering fluid leaking onto it). The charge didn't stay low though, it would fluctuate between regular levels and about 9 volts. So I was somewhat hesitant to assume the alternator was failing.

I was driving the other day and the charge dropped to its lowest and I noticed the lights beginning to dim, wipers slowing etc. Just as I decided I would pull over as soon as I could, the check transmission light came on and shifting became rough.

I thought that perhaps the check transmission light had came on as a result of the alternator not getting enough power to a sensor or some electronic component in the transmission, so I went ahead and changed the alternator, and the power steering pump (to prevent the same problem from reoccurring).

The charge is now steady and the transmission light doesn't come on when the vehicle is started. When you drive it though, after reaching about 2000 RPMs, the check transmission light comes back on and the transmission will shift almost randomly between gears (from 1st to 2nd, then back to 1st without increasing the throttle).

The transmission fluid isn't low, and I have never experienced ANY problems with the transmission prior to this. The gears have always shifted smoothly and quietly. I am hesitant to say the problem is mechanical for this reason. I think there must be a sensor or something of the sort that has gone bad.

I thought perhaps the voltage regulator may have been the problem, but after changing the alternator the charge gauge shows a normal charge, so I don't think that is the case.

I really don't want to break the bank on this, and I REALLY don't want to get rid of my Trooper. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM

I forgot to mention, once the RPMs drop back below 2000 the check transmission light goes back off.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Default Transmission trouble

I have been having troubles along the same line.More so once it has warmed up.Mine is a 97.The other day we were coming home and without any warning the service engine light came on.I did the obd2 scan thing and come up with a P-1870.Something is slipping.Everything I have learned thus far indicates the TCC valve.The transmission fluid looks dark and has a burnt smell to it.The friend I bought it from said....oh yeah...they used to tow BIG boats with it.Now what?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM

both you guys should join up to planetisuzoo.com

they're great help over there