Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

TOWING WIYH A TROOPER

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 AM

First Post - Newbie here

I've towed a 2000+ lb boat (18.5 ft, center console)all over the Eastern US from VA to FL to TX with my '99 trooper, then my first 2001, and then my 2nd 2001 with no problems.

I believe they were all rated to 5000 lb tow limit when they went to the 3.5 liter engine.

Regards, Bill

Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM

If you tow with any vech on a regular basis I recomend that you install a 2nd trans cooler. I have seen too many trans failures due to overheating. I would be safe and have one installed, the cost of a cooler is a lot less than a trans repair. Keep it cool and it will last a lot longer with no problems.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:33 AM

any ideas of where to get a trans cooler?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM

Any parts store can get you one, most may have in stock. Also any shop that sells and installs hitches will have them and they can also install it for you.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 PM

thanks my transmission just got fried on tuesday. It is at the shop right now. any suggestions about getting this fixed?

Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 AM

Sorry to hear the bad news. The GM 4spd transmission isn't all that great, but with care and feeding should do fine if not abused. Most failures are due to lack of maintenance.

A auto trans will only last about an hour with excessive heat buildup, according to published data (text books).

I have dealt with 2 customers troopers with the auto trans giving up the ghost at about 175K. Neither one was cared for. Both had old, dirty, used, smelly ATF fluid. I'm surprised they lasted so long.

Your tranny didn't just get fried, it was well cooked over time. Everyone be well forewarned, your days and miles are numbered.

Changed the fluid, or back flush it (for a full fluid exchange)every couple of years with filter, too, and use the correct ATF fluid. Starve the pump duea plugged filter and the trans will die.Don't over load the trans, downshift when necessary (DON'T let it hunt between 3rd and 4th...!!) such as towing a load up a hill. Wan't extra protection? Use Redline ATF or similar products.

Of course an auxillary cooler will greatly help. Get the good ones, and not the cheap $30 specials. Use stainless lines, not the rubber ones, either.

Finally don't be fooled by the recommended service intervals. Do a full service about at 1/2 the recommendation, and you'll likly never have a trans problem that is wear related (the most common).

Good luck.

Gary

ASE Master Auto Tech

Old 09-09-2007, 03:13 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong I was told that there is no need to change the filter on a trooper do to the fact that its only a screen anyway. It was a parts manager at an Isuzu dealership and he drove a Trooper. Was he wrong. He did agree with most the post on here, at least with the auxiliary trans cooler. Check out this site it should help.

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson.../96trooper.htm

Old 09-09-2007, 03:33 PM

Interesting information, and it would be easy to be lulled into a false sense of security.

However, I do know from actual experience that the Troopers from the mid 90's with the 3.2 engine do have traditional trans filters. They do not use a screen. I've also serviced the older 80's Troopers and from what i remember they use a normal filter too.

To go a little further on the perception that a screen type filter does not have to be changed, once again based on actual experience, this is also not true.

The screen, just like a filter ( both are types of filters) will become clogged with debris. This will starve the pump, due to restricted flow, which in turn will effect every component (excepts the torque coverter) internally. It will cause accelerated wear, inadequate hydraulic pressure, which leads to slippage in the clutch packs. It's the same as starving an engine of oil by having a plugged pump pick up screen (not as uncommon as one would think).

The older Troopers with a dipstick definately have filters. I can't say for sure on the newer troopers with the 3.5L engine, that don't have dipsticks. I don't have access to Alldata right now, but I'm pretty sure it has a regular filter, too. Since my 02 Trooper only has 32K on, and i've changed the fluid, which was in perfect condition, I did not remove the ATF pan to replace the "filter".

Ultimately when it comes to discussions like these, and the nature of the environment, people will believe what they will. Often times it's information that appeals to them; that makes their life easier. It's human nature, it seems.

These are the people that will most likely find out in great detail, and major expense, that spending $100-150every couple of yearsfor aproper servicecould have saved them thousands.

Funny thing is both vehicles I dealt with last year that needed new transmissions never were fixed. the cost of repairs exceeded the value of the vehicles, so the customers hung their head and meandered off in search of another vehicle -- starting the entire cycle over again.

Most people just don't learn [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Sorry about the Trans. Back to your towing Q. Here is the specs on your trooper
<TABLE class=factbox cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Exterior Length </TD>
<TD align=right>181.3 " exterior length</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Exterior Width </TD>
<TD align=right>72.2 " exterior body width</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Exterior Height </TD>
<TD align=right>72.2 " exterior height</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Wheelbase </TD>
<TD align=right>109 " wheelbase</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Front Tread </TD>
<TD align=right>60 " front tread</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Rear Tread </TD>
<TD align=right>60 " rear tread</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Turning Radius </TD>
<TD align=right>19.0 ' turning radius</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Gross Vehicle Weight Rating </TD>
<TD align=right>5,510 lbs. GVWR</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Front Gross Axle Weight Rating </TD>
<TD align=right>2,750 lbs. front GAWR</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating </TD>
<TD align=right>3,080 lbs. rear GAWR</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Max Trailer Weight </TD>
<TD align=right>5,000 lbs. towing capacity</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Get a cooler if you are towing offten or for long distances. As long as you are getting it rebuilt, have them put one on. They are not expensive. They wil cost from $35-$140. You should have no problem towing. I have a rodeo that I have towed a 21' Bayliner all around the state. Also a full size tent trailer, and a horse trailer that alone maxed out my total towing capacity, but I took it loaded for many trips, and the Rodeo never hesitated. I dont recomend going over you max, this will cause ware on your cars drive line and it can get you killed. I have upgraded alot on my Rodeo, but the wheel base is the same so exp. counts for alot.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 PM

I had my tranny rebuilt and the trans shop said that my trooper has an external trans cooler already. Does it come with one from the factory?

Quick Reply: TOWING WIYH A TROOPER