Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Default Ticking Noise

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you can render.

My 1995 Trooper 3.2 DOHC (North American model-Canada) has developed a tick noise in the front end of the engine, where all the belts are. The sound disappears at around 2000 rpm and I've had three mechanics of varying skill listen to it, one with a stethoscope. At this point we've been able to rule out valve train and engine issues since the sound disappears at the higher revs and since we have managed to localize the source of the noise. I've also been advised it wouldn't be a bearing issue since the sound is more of a tick than a whir. Also, it doesn't seem to be any of the visible belts since I can visually see everything running smooth. The problem is now isolating it down to one of the following:

Water Pump
Timing belt (only 50k on it)
Tensioner
Valve Sprocket
Crankshaft pulley/Harmonic balancer

To make matters more difficult I procured a service manual off someone from another forum last year but have had issues matching it up with my model. The layout seems to be different and my Trooper doesn't have a serpentine belt. It has three V belts from what I can see.

Looking for anyone that can shine some light on this issue and or provide an appropriate manual.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM

OMG my 3.2 just started the same thing it almost sounds like a playing card in bicycle spokes
So now there are 2 of us ,lol.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Does the sound disappear at higher revs (2000+)?

Is it coming from the front end of the engine, near the timing belt?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Default ticking engine

I own a 95 trooper i bought with 93K miles. I had the same issue in early Febuary, when the weather warmer up the niose more less went away. Now it that the weather has cooled the ticking is back. I am pretty convinced it is a collapsed lifter. I purchased 12 and I am going to change all on the left bank, when the noise is coming. I hope to complete the work this weekend. I will post my results.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Got the problem fixed up about a week ago.

A pusher for one of the timing belt pulley's was busted.

The mechanics were thorough and asked me what I wanted to replace while they went in to fix it, so I had the timing belt, pulley's, tensioner and water pump all replaced during the repair.

Unfortunately, up here in Canada the parts were scattered across the country so I had to swallow a $1200 bill which was mostly for parts.