Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Some questions about 1986 troopers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Default Some questions about 1986 troopers

Just picked up an 86 trooper with only needs minor (very minor) for under $1500, and might get a second one as soon as I sell my motorcycle.

One of my original choices was a Suzuki Samurai, but two things cancelled that, one, I don't fit in them nearly as well as the Trooper II, and local sellers want too much money for the Samurais.

Now on some upgrades and uses for the Trooper, I have some questions:

Can the stick shift model be safely flat towed? I notice that it lacks a steering wheel lock, and is easy enough to leave in neutral, but there is no neutral setting on the transfer case selector. Does this mean flat towing is a bad idea?

I am looking at the Weber carb upgrade kit, and probably the header exhaust kit. It is possible to re-jet the Weber carb to make this thing run on a higher ethanol content fuel or even straight grain alcohol?

Am I putting engine life at risk if I remove the smog pump system?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 PM

flat towing is no problem, just put it in 2 HI and in neutral. Smog pumps are removed all the time (illegal) but has no affect on the motor only makes the air we breathe dirtier. No idea on the ethanol question.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM

OK, I am looking at building a custom front bumper which would have both a flat tow towbar mount and a compact winch.

Does anyone have any experience with winches on these to say whether a 3000lb winch is sufficient for regular getting unstuck type stuff? I am not looking to add a lot of weight or haul this thing straight up in the air (else I would need a bigger winch). Just some basic self-recovery in case I slide into a sloppy part of a trail and need to winch over to firmer ground.

I have gotten by without a winch on all of the other 4X4s I have owned over the years, but on times when I got stuck, a winch would have made life a little easier, especially when I was alone.

As for removing the smog equipment. The rig I just got has very little power, which I understand is the way they are and probably not an unusual problem. I know one way to get a little power back out of low power engines is to switch over to an electric fan, remove the smog pump (which is legal in my state), and then apparently on these, there is the Weber carb kit and header kits available, basically the same as what is done on a lot of Samurais.

One danger with switching over to electric fans is that the original fans on a lot of engines also act as an engine balancer in a way, dampening the effect of acessory pulleys on the main crankshaft, so removing the fan can threaten the balance of the crankshaft over time, but this happens on some motors more than others, and I am not sure how it would affect the 2.3 Isuzu

The whole thing around eliminating the smog pump system (I would guess this means removing or plugging that manifold looking thing that above the exhaust manifold on the head and plugging the holes?), switching to the headers and the Weber carb with its small air cleaner is there ends up being a lot of room in the engine compartment which then makes any servicing out in the boonies pretty easy. Switching to the electric fan only gives back a little bit of engine compartment space, unless one can manage to cram the electric fan in front of the main radiator, then it gives back quite a bit. The question then is whether or not anyone has any experience on this having thrown things out of balance.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM

I think you would be fine removing your fan. I have been turning wrenches for 30 years and have never heard of the fan being a balance point.

I guess ya learn something every day.

Oh, and the question on the winch?> I would not trust a quad winch. When you are stuck, the weight of your vehicle is compounded. The wire rope would probably survive but the winch motors are not designed for extensive tugs.

The winch I run is an 8,000 pound warn and it weighs 90 lbs. The cable on it was heavy so I got rope instead, and it is rated for more weight.

Last edited by jeffs_62; 02-22-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM

No way I am putting 90 lbs on the front bumper of my trooper. I might skip the winch idea then if the little 3000 pound winch is not enough, or maybe put a receiver hitch on the front.

Matter of fact, I am heading over to a recycle place to see what deals I can score on some scrap aluminum tubing and diamond plate just to save weight on the roof rack and bumper set. I am looking at removing the rear seat on at least one of the troopers and doing a van type interior.

Anybody care for a full set of fairly nice tan cloth interior trim panels from a two door trooper? I am thinking of doing some custom with aluminum sheet. One of the troopers has a so-so exterior body but an excellent interior, but I plan on that one being my work truck. I think i could ship those trim panels out in a bicycle box once I am finished tracing them to make patterns so I can cut the aluminum out with a plasma cutter.

The bumper and grill guard I am looking at copying will be heavy up to and between the frame rails, but lighter heading out to the lights and edges of the fenders.

Last edited by Spartacus; 02-23-2011 at 11:56 AM.