Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

OIL**********

Old 07-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Lol, ok i am losing oil but there are no leaks and no burning of the oil.. Where could it possibly be going?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 AM

I had the same problem on my 99 trooper at 72K. It burns 1 quart per 500 miles. I found out when the oil pressure light came on when the truck was empty of oil. It seems it is a pollution control problem. I changed the PCV valve and cleaned the port and adjacent hose and doubled my mileage to 900 miles per quart. I have heard of many other 99 and 2000 owners finding out too late and having no oil in the engine block with a ruined engine.

Good luck.

DT

Old 09-01-2005, 05:35 PM

Hi there,

I just bought a 91 trooper a couple months ago.Usually I change oil and filter every 3 months on other cars but on this one I changed it two months ago and I'm not getting any oil mark on the dip Stick. The dip sticks looks to small (transmission type) and I'm about to buy one at the dealer just to make sure is the right one,but for what I'm reading it is possible is burning to much oil.

Is this normal on this type of cars?

Thanks,

Gina

Old 10-17-2005, 03:16 PM

ALL, I am considering buying a 2000 Trooper S (83,500 miles) for $6,500. I have heard that oil loss with these vehicles is an issue. I did a search on thistopic and nobody has received a definitive answer. WHAT'S THE DEAL??? Is this unusual oil loss a sign of a larger problem or is it just an inconveniance and par for the design of the engine? I imagine alot of you own or have owned this vehicle (w/ the 3.5 liter engine) so you must have first hand experience with this.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:52 PM

Here is a quote from another site that explains why this happens:

Unfortunately high oil consumption is a common issue with mostly 1998-1999 isuzu 3.2 & 3.5L engines. If you research other isuzu sites, you'll see the suspected cause is inadequate drain-back holes in the oil control rings. The consumption seems to be mostly an annoyance & doesnt effect performance or reliabilty. Old design has something like 4 holes, new design has 10+ holes. On the old design, oil gets trapped above the ring(s) and burns off in the cylinder. Gets worse as the vehicle ages & the rings get dirty with age. If you are still under warranty, Isuzu will replace the short block if they determine oil consumption is over 1qt/1000miles. Make sure your PCV system is clean to keep crank-case pressure down. If it was my truck, I'd pull the spark plugs & soak the cylinders w/ an upper cylinder cleaner like marvel mystery oil, seafoam, etc..etc. I'd run a product like auto-rx (auto-rx.com) and maybe run a HIGH detergency oil for cleaning purposes. Check a website: bobistheoilguy.com. If you can clean those rings out to get them to drain the oil again, your consumption should drop.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by trooperamaman

Here is a quote from another site that explains why this happens:

Unfortunately high oil consumption is a common issue with mostly 1998-1999 isuzu 3.2 & 3.5L engines. If you research other isuzu sites, you'll see the suspected cause is inadequate drain-back holes in the oil control rings. The consumption seems to be mostly an annoyance & doesnt effect performance or reliabilty. Old design has something like 4 holes, new design has 10+ holes. On the old design, oil gets trapped above the ring(s) and burns off in the cylinder. Gets worse as the vehicle ages & the rings get dirty with age. If you are still under warranty, Isuzu will replace the short block if they determine oil consumption is over 1qt/1000miles. Make sure your PCV system is clean to keep crank-case pressure down. If it was my truck, I'd pull the spark plugs & soak the cylinders w/ an upper cylinder cleaner like marvel mystery oil, seafoam, etc..etc. I'd run a product like auto-rx (auto-rx.com) and maybe run a HIGH detergency oil for cleaning purposes. Check a website: bobistheoilguy.com. If you can clean those rings out to get them to drain the oil again, your consumption should drop.

First of all, what rings are you talking about???NO ENGINEin good working condition should loose oil so fast.

My bets are on faulty piston rings, bad valve seals,stuck pcv valveor bad engine gasket.

Cleaning the cilinders won't help with the oil consumption, it will only help in improving fuel mileage in older engines.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:46 PM

I'm not the only one burned out, I lost my engine at 45k, and they said pcv too. Isuzu gave me 3000 goodwill, and I was stuck in the US for 2 months too! Darn shame, its an awesome SUV, have not ridden in much nicer I tell you!!!

Old 01-14-2006, 01:55 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
I've got a 2000 Trooper w/ 94k miles. I've done the seafoam treatment a year ago. 2 months ago I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic oil and put in CD2. After 3 quarts and nearly 2000 miles, changed oil w/ more Mobile 1 and another CD2. Put in 2 quarts in just over 1k miles. My driving is 14 miles to work, 10 of it freeway (70-80 mph). Similar type when driving during day. Over new years made a 400 mile round trip on the freeway. Used 4 quarts. Since then, back to a quart in 400-500 miles or so. No idea why it increased on the long freeway trip.

I have changed the PCV valve a couple of times, and mycompression is always good.

So, I'm ready to switch back to regulardinooil, might as well use the cheap stuff. Question is, assuming it's the oil drainback holes, etc, what weight should I be using to get the most out of it?

Old 01-14-2006, 05:35 PM

My 2001 blew 3000 miles after a full castrol synthetic changeover, and the tranny was synthetic updated too. dealership said it was caused by lack of lubrication....duh, blamed a pcv valve too. really bummed me out, i love the truck, but now i have an intake manifold problem, a plenum perhaps. Engine starts and then stops seconds laters, sounds like air sucking through top of engine. Help! Is there still a network of Isuzu dealerships in the states??

Old 03-03-2006, 07:51 PM

replace pcv valve.clean egr valve and hoses.add 1 quart lucas oil treatment at each oil change.use a purolator filter.never a fram - worst on market.isuzus burn oil thats just the nature of the beast-hahahahahaha.check it often and keep it topped off.i check mine every weekend at least.as long as you know the quirks of these things youll be fine.but if you dont watch it-itll run dry and youll lose the engine in a heartbeat. ive got 170000 on my trooper and its going strong.but its burned oil since day one.ive never had a car like this before.but every one has its own personality.Edited by: surpera1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OIL**********