Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Looking at an 86 Trooper II to purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Default Looking at an 86 Trooper II to purchase...

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a Trooper after hearing so many positive reviews. Going to look at an 86 Trooper II with 145K miles, 2.3L, 5 speed. Owner says it acts like it does not fire for a second, he thinks it may be the carburetor or distributor.

I know nothing about these trucks. I want to give it the once over. What should I look for? Are these engines known for valve gasket leaks?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM

You must know what to look for:
automatic transmissions: movement either direction after the vehicle is placed in park is not exceptable it means the transmission is weak.
engine comparment must be clean but not steam clean needs typical use dust, overly clean somebody is hiding something .
exhaust pipes not coated with fine black suit which is a indicator of poor combustion and oil burning.
do a complete compresson test including a leak down test ly the test reading out on a diagram and observe what th internal condition of the engine is.
road test forward accelerate and then remove throttle quickly listen a nd feal what the vehicle does do the same in reverse and watch how the transmission responds to down shift conditions.
look at all fluids the color,smell and texture of the fluids are a good indication of the overall condition of the vehicle BEWARE OF REALLY CLEAN FLUID AND SPIFFY CLEAN ENGINE COMPARTMENTS>

Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Transmissions that have ben forced flushe are more subject to failure then transmissions that have been properly fluse d by removing the tranny pan and pumped washed with tranny fluid on an open system not closed and pumped through which puts particle into the capilarie channels of the tranny brain!Jiffy lube does this and so does minute lube ther are typically only a very few shops that pull the pan and wash/pump the open system correctly as done in JAPAN.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 AM

Automatic transmission wasn't even an option for the '86 Trooper... After reading everything you wrote it's obvious you don't know anything about the truck this guy's asking for specific help with. Why would you even waste all that time typing all that nonsense.. or do you just have that saved on your desktop and just vomit it out onto message boards in an attempt to look like you know something... Do the internet a favor and stick to something you know about.... if there is anything... my guess is you're a 17 year old who's been working at transco dumping the used tranny fluid for a few weeks and overheard a few things...

Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM

your right I suppose about the 86's but the post was intended to give a kid an idea of what to look for when looking at possible vehicles as far as your personal attack on me well I just consider the source ..........someone with nothing to offer and no hope in hand. good job Johnny Jive and I will be sure to watch for your most intelligent response to every question your small mind can comp.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Kingston Arizona really? what would you need an off road vehicle for in Kingston arizona better get a bicycle for all that flat dry pavement oh yea and maybe something to go fast like all the rest of the flat landers.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM

lots of people will attempt to pose only a few will respond with something informative that will actually give you an idea:
In your text you mention an 86' and that you know nothing about these trucks, I hope that is not your state of inteligence as a mechanic especially if you're looking to rebuild or repair something because isuzu is not a forgiving vehicle to begin a mechanical practice on there are so many electrical systems that require functional sensors and impluse switches built into the cables it is not a simple vehicle to diagnose wth out a schmetic or a good solid understanding of how different systems work together. an old military jeep with points would be a good beginners vehicle and don't think it would not be a challenge keeping an olde in running shape is not as easy as it looks. unless you understand post 91' vintage and maybe JONY JIVE might know what happened in 90-91 to the automotive industry that changed all the vehicles across the brands? hey JONNY got any good knowledge or are you still looking for your bicycle lock?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Dude, you are absolute ******* idiot. Your reading comprehension skills are horrible and you're not even intelligent enough to know the difference between Arizona and Arkansas, and there's a BIG difference. Take a few minutes and expand your knowledge base and then come back and let me know if you've got any other stupid ******* comments. You should seriously consider shutting the **** up before you do your reputation any more damage. A few things for reference:
https://isuzuforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39243

Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Default Found and 88 Trooper that looks decent

Hey Guys,

I passed on the 86 because it didn't have current tags and the owner was kind of evasive about what was wrong with the idle. I figure theres some emissions problems that I would be dealing with.

So... I just found an 88 Trooper with 209K miles that has recently had a bunch of work on it like timing belt, head gaskets, valve gaskets, etc. The guy tells me he has receipts for all the work listed in the ad on Craigslist. Here is a link to the Ad:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3346835804.html

I would like to ask some of the Trooper enthusiasts/experts what I should be looking for on a truck this old. I would really appreciate a check list that I could write down and bring with me. I know what a good engine sounds like from watching youtube haha, but not much else.

I know it's a 25 year old truck, and am expecting some work, but I just don't want to buy a turd. I currently own a 1971 Ford and its been killing me on gas and repairs...so an 88 is big step up for me!

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 AM

Signals that have ben pressured flushe are more topic to failing then transmissions that have been effectively fluse d by eliminating the transmitting pan and injected cleaned with transmitting liquid on an start program not shut and injected through which places compound into the capilarie programs of the transmitting brain!Jiffy lubricant does this and so does instant lubricant pposite are generally only a very few stores that take the pan and wash/pump the start program effectively as done in JAPAN.

Quick Reply: Looking at an 86 Trooper II to purchase...