Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

EGR valve and Fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 PM

I have an '02 Trooper and I took it in to get its tags and IM renewed. Well guess what, it failed. They got the error codes P0401, P1404, and P0405. My EGR valve is stuck closed. I'm wondering if I can take off the EGR valve and clean out what ever is keeping it from working proporly or, should I just replace it? A new EGR valve is around $195, money I really dont want to spend, or the tickets for having an expired IM certification and expired tags.

also, where the heck is the fuel filter on this thing [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2007, 08:15 AM

My '99 has the same prob. Check engine light resulted in the same code...spent money on the EGR and found out there was a vacuum leak in the intake manifold.

Spent mucho $$ and the code still exists. Might invest in a 1"x1" piece of electrical tape...

Be careful with this one, it could end up costing you a lot of money to trouble shoot.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Where was the vacuum leak at? I have the same issue. Bought
a new EGR and it fixed the issue for about a day before the P1406 error
came back.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM

I was toldthe gasket was bad on the intake manifold. I don't have the tools for that kind of repair, but I trusted my regular mechanic and within a few days, the code popped back up.

I probably should have just replaced the valve first, but was confident in his judgement...or maybe he was confident in taking my $$$??

Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM

i got lucky and a new EGR fixed all the problems, and passed the IM test with flying colors. turns out, the Trooper and the Honda pilot have identical EGR valves, they just look a little different. put it on, no more error codes!

i would still like to know where my fuel filter is..[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2007, 08:48 PM

How long ago? Did you put the from the Honda onto the Trooper? I replaced the EGR and gasket, it will cycle off, but the code still prompts the "check engine" light.

I'm wondering if it's somewhre else in the exhaust system, O2 sensors, CO2 sensors....something.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

the 02 troopers fuel filter is near the right rear wheel on the frame.an yes the egr valves are interchangeable,with alot of general motors products an honda for a few yrs.to clean them,its not more so cleaning the valve but,cleaning the tube up to the valve,take loose the t-body,an you will see a long tube right in ft.use some carb spray an a wire pipe cleaner or coat hanger,to chunk out thte carbon build up at the opening.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM

is there a way to test the EGR with a DVOM? trying to help a friend out and she's short on cash. almost forgot, it's an '00 Rodeo 3.2 v6.

by the way great site you guys have here.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

yes there is a way but you need a wiring diagram.egr valve is a common thing i would just replace it .they stick an the electical half does go bad

Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 PM

thanks for the quick response GURU. i guess i'll have to break the news to her later. there were a couple of other codes, p0300 multiple misfire and it also had a rough cold start idle, sometimes dying. i think the EGR is the root of all of this.

man, i'm glad my '00 dakota doesn't have an egr.

thanks again.

Quick Reply: EGR valve and Fuel filter