Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

ball joints question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Default ball joints question

i have a 95 trooper 3.2 dohc - there has been some popping / creaking going on for a while now - when i looked i saw that the lower ball joints boots were cracked all the way around and dry - so - what all should i replace while i am in there ? upper ball joints , shocks , and lower ball joints ? any special tools required ? i have never done this before - thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM

and what is the best oem source for these parts ? thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 AM

since you're down there, i'd change all the things you listed.

as for tools, well....beats me what is needed.

Check out your local autozone.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Check out Checker/Shucks/Kragen/O'reilly's that's where I found the Chilton manual for my 95. The last time I did suspension on anything it was a fairly involved affair, usually pneumatic tools come into play, along with pickle forks and even shop presses now and again. Be VERY mindful of the coil springs - where they are located, how they are secured in place, etc. because removing the castle nuts that retains the spindle to the control arms on some vehicles is enough to release the spring. That is not something you want pointing at you. And once you're done with the job make sure to do a full chassis lube. Any of the components that have the zert fittings (look similar to bleeder screws on brakes) will need to be lubed if that hasn't been done in a while, along with the fresh ball joints after they've been installed.

Caveat: Don't mess with the adjustment of the tie rod sleeves this will change your alignment and will require a professional to re-align (TOE). Same goes for the control arms, there may be shims on the assembly that secure them to the vehicle, these also adjust a different yet still important factor (Camber) of the overall alignment. Correct geometry is the name of the game when it comes to suspension.

Sorry for the long post.

Happy Wrenching