Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

96 Trooper back on road after 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Default 96 Trooper back on road after 3 years

Hello all,
I'm a newb here but I've had my 96 Trooper 3.2 for about 8 years. It is a manual trans and has 147,000 miles. It has only been started and moved 2 times in the last 3 years and now won't start. I plan on getting it "revamped" to start driving again and I just wanted to have a firm "Heads Up" on the mechanic before I get there so I don't get charged an arm and a leg.

Can anyone please point out some typical issues that I will need to address?
It will start if jumped by another car,the check engine light is on and I am pretty sure that it is leaking oil.
I have 3 weeks until my mechanic is back from surgery and I want to know exactly what I want him to do instead of having to say "whatever she needs to get her back on the road and pass inspection". PLEASE HELP
Thanks!
Shea from DE

Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Thumbs up

You might want to check Fuel pressure, make sure your fuel engages when you turn the key to start position. as for Oil leak, you might be leaking around the valve covers, replace the gaskets as they might be the culprit. Check or Replace Spark Plugs. Check all Vacuum lines and wiring. Check coolant level and heater and radiator hoses. Check Oil level and change oil and filter if needed. I know the V6 motors in the Troopers were real bad about burning a bit of oil(I know this because my mom has a 1998 Trooper 3.5ltr and it burns a bit of oil) was a factory mistake when the build the V6 motors. the oil ports in the piston are not big enough for the oil to run back down in the pan, so it burns most of it off when it ignites the fuel.

Im sure i might have left some stuff out, but sure the rest of the Trooper gang will chime in and give ya a hand on some other stuff to check or change.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Thanks alot! I've done the oil change, fixed the coolant system, replaced alternator belt along with the a/c and power steering belts and rear brakes. I am getting a full tune up next and then rear shocks. I also have torn boots and dried joints in both front drive axles,
I will need a clutch soon and valve cover gaskets. Slowly but surely tackling this list. I'm happy with how she's driving and I know the best is yet to come

Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Thumbs up

Glad to hear, im gettin excited as well, im getting my 1984 Trooper fixed up to get ready for the Trails and DD. Im having to do a bit more than what you have had to do, but in the end, im like you. Its Dam well worth the time and money spent.