Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

91 trooper needs an engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 AM

dont mess with the 4.3. its a good motor but wont bolt in directly. itll take computer and trans adapter swapping. find a good low mileage 3.4l gm out of any buick century, pontiac, or newer s-10. itll bolt straight in with no modification. check out planetisuzoo.com for step by step instructions on how-to.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ianisuzu
dont mess with the 4.3. its a good motor but wont bolt in directly. itll take computer and trans adapter swapping. find a good low mileage 3.4l gm out of any buick century, pontiac, or newer s-10. itll bolt straight in with no modification. check out planetisuzoo.com for step by step instructions on how-to.

this is un-tru. the 3.4L that is most commonly used is a 1994 to 1995 camaro with the 3.4L. most use a isuzu rodeo 3.1 clutch flywheel and clutch assembly (its slightly larger than a 2.8 set up). this engine is cast iron with iron heads, it is the only 3.4 used in rwd setup from factory. the 3400 series motors in FWD cars wont work due to the fact they are missing the bosses for motor mounts on one side. and most of these have aluminum heads that wont work with the 2.8 intake on the trooper.

there are a few problems with this swap (i have done it recently) the 3.4 used a different motor mount set up so it fit low in the camaro chassis. so when you bolt the 2.8 mounts from the trooper up, only two of the three bolts line up. most have just left this this way and have never had a failure. the starter is on the pass side in the camaro, so you will need to either modify the bell housing in the trooper for pass side starter (some have done this) or get the jig that fiero owners use and drill the holes to mount your trooper starter on drivers side. (its easy, and clean)

the other problem is that unless you want to rewire your trooper and run the mpfi from the camaro swapping in the 2.8 intake is easy, but... the 2.8 tb and injectors will not flow enough for this engine, so you will need to swap in a chevy 4.3L TB (not a typo thats what you need) and then in order to run that TB you will need to open up the two large inlet ports on the intake to match the tb. everything else is nuts and bolts.

its a very clean and easy swap to gain power and torque and it in theory will be stronger due to the mods that gm made to the 3.4 block and crank to this last generation of iron motor.

if you want a 4.3 or 5.0 you will need a mua5 2.8 trans from a v-6 trooper and then look in summit racing for trans dapt adapter for swapping in a v-8 to a s-10, you will need the trans adapter and the oil pan that they sell for this.

you will need to make your own motor mounts (maybee they sell them also)

the 4.3 is a physically larger motor than the 3.4 so it gets tight at the front where you need radiator clearance, and I am not sure that a chevy 5.0 will even fit with rad in current location.

another easy swap is the caddy 4.1-4.9 v-8 that is the pre northstar era, its tb injected also and has the same 60 deg trans hook up as the 2.8. so does the north star but there is a mess of wiring to be done for those engines. the pre-northstar would be more of a plug and play engine.

i have seen a ford 302, ford manual and transfercase swapped in but the torsion bars are the problem there, they get in the way unless you SAS the front end.

but with minimal work the 3.4 is probably the easiest and reliable out of the shop swap there is.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 PM

this forum is f**king stupid. people are giving advice and dont know their ******* from a can of beer. i never mentioned the camaro 3.4L. i KNOW the motor mounts are different thats exactly why i DIDNT recommend it. as for the starter there is a little bit of rewiring to do. here was no mention this swap is completely bolt in ready as would ANY f**kin half *** grease monkey would know. good job copying and pasting info just to confuse the guy who is actually looking for help in this matter. i only said the motor would bolt in with no mods and that is true. i also take it a personal insult by calling the information i supplied as untrue without actually reading what was wrote. if we were face to face and you called me a liar id punch you in your fat head. oh and ps thumbs up for advising a v8 swap for a vehicle whos drivetrain wouldnt handle the torque and added weight. thumbs up

Old 02-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Default Lexus LS400 engine swap into 1st gen trooper

Hi,
I am new here and I have an 89 Trooper in the carport that needs a head gasket as far as I can tell without a teardown. While doing some research on YouTube about Troopers I ran across these videos by Johny5. Great videos on first gen Trooper fixes, and a great series on an LS400 swap. Apparently, the Lexus 4.0 Liter V8 fits nicely into the engine bay shares some connections to the Lexus ECU and wiring harness. According to Johny5, this engine is known for its longevity 300,000 miles or more, after all, it is a Toyota. This engine will bolt on to the automatic trans because Isuzu uses the Toyota trans! You will need the 4.0L bell housing and torque converter if I am not mistaken. Probably a very easy swap compared to a Chevy V8, check it out.
I've been keeping my eye out for an LS400 at the Pull-a-Parts in the area. Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted.