Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

91 trooper needs an engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 AM

After installing a reman 2.8 into my 91 trooper, it was unfinished when my kid took it for a ride and blew out the seals and overheated it. ...oh well

the questions i pose to the forum members are; what would i need to do to adapt a 4.3 chevy engine ?
what would i need to do to adapt a 5.0 chevy engine ?

if the engines to be swapped into the trooper have an automatic trans, what difficulties would i need to overcome to use the auto trans ?

would a 4.3 bolt up to the 5 speed trans in the trooper ?
are there radical mounting changes required for the 4.3 into the trooper ?

if the 4.3 is used, would it be necessary to use the pcm, and ecu from the donor vehicle ?

i noticed someone mentioned a camaro 3.4 L used for a swap. please, if you have details of this swap can you post them or PM the details to me ?

finding a good 2.8L v6 is extremely difficult. of course change an engine in kind is much easier (but seems unavailable). lastly; if there is anyone in the forum that has this engine available, please contact me ?

thank you all !

Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 AM

hey man whats goin on, as you can see im new as well, but i've done A LOT of research on isuzus, esp. troopers. a 2.8 L v6 is hard to find, because they arn't that reliable, so theres not much left on 'em, if you still want to finde on theres multiple suvs that it was used in since it is a chevy engine. id reccomend lookin for a diesel 2.3 L isuzu engine, but thats because i dont like any american cars, but thats just me...otherwise i pretty sure that the 3.4 L would bolt in (i think the block is the same size) other thatn hat i wouuldn't go any bigger because of computer issues.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 PM

I disagree with the previous poster, the reason I selected my second Trooper within 10 years, this time with the ll2 GM 60 degree is because of the POOR rep of the isuzu powerplant AND the wide availability of donor vehicles. Every chey s10 I drive by I contemplate buying for transplant purposes.

As far as mating to tranny's go, I'm not the guy.

I've seen some Aussie Bighorn Turbo Deisels on Ebay, but they never bend on price, always 3800 or so.

Good luck.

Edit:

The 60 degree engine may be a dog, especially on the 2 ton gen 1 trooper, but I wouldn't call it ureliable. Sure, there are vacuum gremlins, but I've seen a bunch , including mine that are at 250 thousand without a hickup.Edited by: 'dukes

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 AM

I'm with Dukes........the 2.8 is a solid powerplant, but it is very durable because it is so underpowered that it cannot hurt itself. I don't know for sure about manual trans, but the 2.8 auto trans models the 3.4 longitudinal is the replacement engine for bolt in replacement of 2.8. Any other engine will require trans change or adapter plate, which don't seem to be available anymore.

One owners opinion.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM

well, after some searching i finally picked up an available 2.8 with a 700R4 attached to it. it came out of a camaro.

at this point i am looking for any pitfalls, problems and advice as to what to do next...

does anyone know the length of the 700R4 trans as compared to the 5 speed (BW) trans that is in the trooper now ?

would it be better to use the auto trans or adapt the 5 speed ?

one thing i did learn out of this so far is that the chevy transmissions that are behind the 5.0 L and
5.7 L will bolt to the 2.8 L .

maybe if i go the automatic route, i may install a V8 at a later date.(or possibly keep the 5 speed and bolt IT up to a V8.

has anyone done this swap ?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM

If you're still pondering... I ran into tranny problems with my 2.8 V6 auto
and found out some GM trivia. The 2.8 - 3.4 V6 is a 60 deg engine and the
4.3, 5.0, 5.7, etc... is a 90 deg engine and will not bolt up to your
transmission. AND, it's not just a bellhousing swap on the autos. I think
the engine from a Camaro will work, just make sure the starter is on the
driver side. The engines from FWD cars has the starter on the other side.
For a hot V8 setup, you may consider a Northstar V8 from a Caddy. It's a 60
degree engine and they rock!! You would need the ECM from the donor
caddy.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:48 PM

a decision was made conserning the engine swap. although i had picked up a low milage engine, trans, ecm from a camaro, i had decided to just use the long block. the fly wheel/flex-plate must be changed to use the borg warner trans that is in the trooper. then the intake from the dead engine replaces the FI intake from the camaro. although i would have preferred the FI i chose the stay with the throttle body that's in the truck originally. my only thought is if the port injection that's on the camaro engine may dictated if i MUST use the FI and not the TBI.
as for the 200R trans; i will be looking into it a bit further. i will possibly use it to swap out a T350 i'm presently running in an xjs. the 200R has a nice fourth (and final drive gear); if i recall, it's .67 . that would bring my highway cruising down to 2300-2500 rpm; that's about 1000 less rpm.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:15 PM

I have an '89 Trooper with a dead 2.6 L 4 cyl EZ-1. I'd like to upgrade it to a 6 cyl engine around 4L. Am I correct in that the trans for the 4 cyl is not compatable with anything else and I'd need to swap it out for one compatable with the 2.8L V6 unless I can find one of the now rare adapter kits? What are my options for engine swaps? I recall reading a few years back on one of the Isuzu forums that the Olds Aurora 4 or 4.3 engine was a candidate.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM

update:

decided to stay with the 2.8. i went over the engine install and found some things done wrong. that didn't help the overall situation that cased the engine to die.
after the head was replaced, the engine fired when fed fuel directly to the intake.

but, upon connecting a brand new fuel pump, i discovered something is causing the fuel pump circuit to blow the fusable link under the vehicle, feeding electrical juice to the fuel pump.
a jump of the wire to the fuel pump will cause the fuse at the box to blow.

anybody have a decent electical schematic for the 91 trooper II ? (2.8 v6 5 sp 4x4 )
i would like to check the wires... possible rodent damage... or chafing of wires... cross ground/back feed... possible bad alternator or connections...or diode or regulater .

any help, guesses, ideas, diagrams will be very helpful.
thank you all.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 AM

if you still need a 2.8 for the 91 i''ve got one in oklahoma city that I could get my hands on.

Quick Reply: 91 trooper needs an engine