Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1994 Trooper Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 PM

I just purchased a used 1994 Trooper LS with 148,000 miles on it. Overall the vehicle is in good shape, but the more that I drive it I am finding some issues that are starting to concern me.

This is a 5-speed manual transmission with the 3.2L engine.

First thing I noticed was the U/S light on the dashboard. It seems to work fine as I shift through the gears, but then comes on and stays on when I am in 5th gear. Its almost like it thinks that I should have a 6th gear to go to.

Secondly, the cruise does not seem to work. I push the button to turn the cruise on and the cruise indicator on the dash does not come on and the cruise does not function. I have checked and I do not seem to find a fuse for cruise so I don't think that is the issue.

Lastly, I replaced one of the tail lights recently and when checking to make sure all the lights lit I noticed that the reverse lights do not come on when I put the car in reverse. However, this morning as I was leaving my driveway I happened to notice that my reverse lights do come on, but they come on when I shift into first and second gear. None of the other gears will light the reverse lights but first and second.

It seems like all these issue are somewhat related and I am concerned that it is going to end up being something in the transmission. Does anyone have any ideas of where I should start to see if I can troubleshoot these issues? I am definately not a mechanic, but I have some access to some people who are so if its something I can resolve myself I would really like to do so.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Compscott
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Up shift light is common problem. Does not indicate malfunction of trans, just one or both sensors on the trans that work in conjunction to signal module to turn on dash light. I have automatic so you will have to do research to find out more.

Cruise does have a fuse and relay. Relay is on RH wheelwell electric center. Should be label on dash and wheelwell fuse covers with description of fuses and relays. Cruise won't engage under 25 mph or so.

Sounds like your neutral start/safety switchmay be mis aligned and that is why you are getting misbehaving back up lights. Does your starter engage while in gear, if it does, then you may have bad or misaligned switch on clutch. I dont' have a manual trans, so I am not too familiare with whether you have clutch safety switch AND other switches working along with it.

go to www.myisuzuparts.com and search for keyword "switch" and look for the trans switches, etc to see what is there.

Hope this helps
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Ok... I have the same Trooper and same problem... It ended up being the switch off of the clutch peddle... bend down and look at it... mine was a combo of the peddle and the switch... the peddle didn't go up enough to hit the switch... the cruise control doesn't activate if the clutch peddle switch doesn't acknowledge the peddle being disengaged. I sprayed the peddle hardware with Litheom grease, then cleaned the two switches... problem solved! Not sure about your shift light staying on in 5th... I find it amazing how much a good cleaning and re-lubing can help stuff like that!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>