Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1991 Trooper II

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Hello there.
I recently bought a 1991 Isuzu Trooper II (2.6L 2559cc L4) and everything was ok until the check engine red light started blinking. Apparently there is nothing a wrong and just start blinking after the engine is running for more than 3 hours stock in traffic. The light turns off once I turn off the engine for 2 or more hours. Do you know of any common troubles on the engine that can cause this light to turn on? What are the most frequent troubles on this type of SUV’s?
Thank you.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

have you tried having the engine codes pulled? where abouts do you reside?

Old 06-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Hi Patrick.

Yes I pulled out the codes and I just get code 12 nothing else. At this time the light stopped blinking. It hasn't light on again. Do you know of any place were I can get original parts for Isuzu Tropper?

Thank you for replying.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

it says that you live in the US, right? any basic parts store should have access to parts.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:01 PM

Code 12, one blink, two blink. Is the diagnostic mode. Any blinks after the third 12 will be a problem code. Any code after the 12 ?

Otherwise it sounds like it is possibly overheating some. Poblem occurs when hot and slow/stopped and goes away once cool. Have the radiator cleaned/rodded. They are easy to pull out and the only way to clean. Flushes don't work. Overheating/ low cooling cracks the heads quickly. This should be done especially if you are not moving.

Check the fan (when the engine is off)that it turns freely when cool and more resistance when hot. With the engine running see if it is spinning.

Possibly change the thermostat. Make sure it is a 180 degree one and that it does open. Easier and cheaper to just replace it.

Cracked heads are common. First casting of heads was not the best and the engine tends to run hotter in the rear pistons, 3 & 4. They seem to cool ok according to the temp guage, but if the radiator is not new or cleaned well it leads to extra heat around the back.

Not great on power,but loves to truck along. Just change the oils/fluids often.

If you are able to get a code let us know. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM

Thank you.

ActuallyI had to change the radiator panel; pieces came apart when they tried to clean it. Ireplaced the upper and lower hoses on the radiator, the thermostat and also the water pump. It seems every thing is fine. But never checked for cracks on the head.Some times while stop on traffic I still get this antifreeze smell but the temp gauge does not indicate any heating.

Also I have been getting Code 32 (3 flashes, pause, 2 flashes).

Change Oil and filters every 2 months (2000 miles), in this period of time I have to add about 1 1/2 liters of motor oil.

Is this normal?

I recently made a trip thru Baja, wonderful. 3000 miles in a week. No problems on the road at all.

I'm thinking on taking my trooper for a major tune-up, but still need to find a reliable shop in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">San Diego</st1lace></st1:City> to do it.

I will appreciate your comments.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:07 AM

Code 32. That is the EGR circuit. Either EGR sensor is bad or there is a short in the circuit. I can not think of a sensor, but the EGR valve and backpressure(BD)transducer (fancy valve) do clog. Those could easily cause the problem.

Also, the oil loss seem excessive. Any oil on the ground or on the engine? Good luck

Old 03-31-2006, 03:12 PM

No there is no oil on the ground.

This oil loss seems normal.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:35 PM

i would get the car into a shop that can read your computer. a blinking engine or check engine light means something is wrong with something related to the emissions control system. even though the light may be turning off by inself, it is likely you may be causing damage to your cat converter by running too lean or rich. that is what the blinking light is trying to tell you. if you read the manual it will discuss the difference between a blinking and on all the time check engine light conditions. one is worse than the other. good luck