Stylus Talk about Isuzu Stylus related topics here...

1991 Stylus computer issues???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:12 PM

Here's the background. It spent most of last year parked as my girlfriend's job allows her to bike to work and I have my own vehicle. When the need to use it came up, it began to develop problems. First, she said it was mostly when it rained, then it began to happen all the time. It would stall at stops, the idle would race when the car was put into park, and the check engine light would come on. At some point there was black smoke coming out of it. We've taken it to three shops so far.

We took it to the first mechanic who replaced the TPS at least once (the first one was used I think). There were some other parts that he threw at it, but I don't have her list right here at the moment. All in all he had the car about 2 months and really didn't solve the issue.

The next guy replaced the fuel sending unit which seemed to help, but didn't fix it. He suggested that maybe the fuel return line had rusted shut and warned that labor would be expensive to look much farther. He suggested that we send it to one of the local high school/trade schools for the semester and let them play with it as they don't charge labor.

The last guy said that the previous two charged her for stuff that wasn't needed, and that it was either a computer issue or a wiring problem. He didn't charge her anything, but told her it would have to go to a dealer for a $300 scan and it would be a can of worms he wanted nothing to do with. Earlier one of the mechanics at the first shop had offered to buy the car and she declined - thinking he only wants to buy it if he can fix it. This last guy said sell it and be done with it.

The latest mechanic's shop is about 25 miles from here, and the car seemed to run much better than it had before- even running at some of the stops.

I drove it to work today, 50 mile round trip, thinking running more fresh gas and some lucas engine cleaner would help it. It's got more power and pick up now, but it's still not right. This is about the only first hand reporting I can give on driving it.

The check engine light was on about half of the trip. It did manage to stay running at some of the stops except for the last one in our driveway. Driving, it seemed that the throttle would cut out or that the engine would back off at something like 1 second intervals when I held the gas pedal at an even rate like going through town at 35mph. When I floored it, it would go and be fine. As soon as I let off the gas it would start doing it again.

I've come across some mention online of the ECM having issues in the Stylus and needing to be replaced. Do you think that could be the problem, and if so is it just a matter of unplugging the old one an plugging in the new one? Or could it just need to be driven much more and see if it will work itself out?

Long story short, I'm just looking for help and suggestions. If you need more info, I'll see what I can provide, and thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

Dan

Old 10-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Here are some additional notes after driving the car this week.

It starts fine cold. The problems only begin to surface once the engine warms up. Then the check engine light comes on - leading me to think that it has something to do with the emissions system. When the light goes off it seems to behave ok. I don't seem to notice a pattern with the light coming on or going off; parts of the trip it stays on most of the time, other parts it only stays on for a few minutes. After it warms up chances are it will stall unless you brake with the left foot while keeping the gas slightly depressed.

Just thought I'd throw these ideas out in addition.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 AM

are u the only other person in the world who owns a stylus?????< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 PM

It would appear that way from the activity here. How''s yours doing? Can you relate to this issue at all?

I''ve currently got another computer on order from parts.com - tho I don''t have much faith - in them. My order is approaching a month old and I''ve yet to receive a reply to my emails as to why it is on ''hold.'' I could understand if they''re having trouble locating one, but then there is the fact that they were advertising one. Still, I''d just like a heads up as to what''s up.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:03 PM

hey there...well, it doesnt stall, but yeah, all the other problems apply here. I guess the most worrying is the accelerator pedal getting stuck...And you''re right, it happens when it gets hot...

my cousins pretty good with cars, and he says i should just drive it till it dies. Its in pretty bad shape anyway, like the body''s rusted in places...its got holes in the floor!!..and i tried to get a cd player installed, but it turned out there was no sound. would have cost too much, so i just let that idea go.As it is, its alrite for puttering around town in.Oshawa''s a small place anyway..i just wudnt trust it to take me on long routes.

what shape is urs in? Cant be worse than mine.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:04 PM

oh yeah, and th driver''s side window doesnt roll down, which is why i joined the forum in the first place...was looking for a door.Dnt think il have much luck tho.LOL.