Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

What are "must fix" items on a 98 model v6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Lightbulb What are "must fix" items on a 98 model v6?

gang I am new to this car. its a 98 model 2wd V6 4-door Rodeo with 148K miles showing on the clock. The hood of the car has really bad paint which makes me wonder if it overheated at some point in its tortured life. Is that paint peel common or is my suspicion a better guess??

the motor has a knock which I'm told is a rocker arm noise - is that common? it does sound to me like its top-end, not bottom end. The motor runs ok, the auto transmission shifts sorta uncertainly - as if it has a worn clutch [if it were a manual, that would be my guess]. it has a really aggravating smell via the heater when its running on a cold day, that smells to me like burning/vaporizing coolant or power steering fluid - something other than oil. Is there something common in that regard that I need to look for?

thanks for your help

Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM

the clear coat in those years was terrible and are easily warn away by the sun. its the same thing with my 98 rodeo. the only fix is to get a new paint/clear coat job.

next, depends if you mean 'knock' or if you mean 'tink' etc. valve/lifter noise is common. i know that most rodeos get ''the tick'' after a certain age and mileage. ive also read that the pistons may become a little loose in the cylinders and make the tick as well.

if your ac/heat smells like coolant, check your heater hoses. if its power steering fluid, check your pump and for leaks.