Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

very hard shift from 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 PM

after installing my transmission a few weeks ago it has been working great shifting perfectly until this morning approx 500 miles on transmission since install and when i left this morning it shifted fine from 1st to 2nd then from 2nd to 3rd it felt like it was coming up through the floor it shifted so hard and the back from 3rd to 2nd again hard down shift with a little grinding sound i drove it to school because it was basically all highway...It was parked for about 2 hours and then i got back in it to test it out again and it shifts perfect now no issues at all...it actually shifts smoother than it did before this happened ????I am confused now[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE TCM HAS A RESET OR LEARNING PERIOD??? maybe this was possibly a learning period I did have the computer removed from the rodeo for a while any answers or guesses would be greatly appreciated....

Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Could have just taken time for everything to relearn what it needed to. The TCM is actually part of the ECM. If it comes back then you have a problem.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 PM

it has done it one more time so far but i noticed a small detail the lights on the dash indicating what gear your in when i shifted it into drive in actually showed i was in D and 1 until it shifted to second then when it went into third BAM and hard so i put it into neutral because when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd it has a grinding sound i shut it off turned the key in the on position and went through all the gears back to park started it and everything was fine...I have taken off and cleaned the old mode selector switch off of my old transmission and i am going to be putting it on today maybe this will help....thats just reading past posts but when they had hard shifts it was in every gear...[img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2007, 07:58 PM

i'm having the same issue but no grinding sound>>>>>>have you resolved your problem...ive heard it could be the range sensor..i'll clean it as soon as i can and let you know...

Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 AM

hey guys......fixed my range sensor( or mode selector as some call it ) and it shifts great......had one MAJOR problem....didn't think to put on the emergency brake and my driveway is slopped.....HOLY CRAP...when i went to remove the range sensor shaft bolt it turned the shaft just a little and pulled the trans out of park......it almost ran me over..( STUPID MOVE ON MY PART )....so make sure if you do this repair the brake is ON......thanks for all the help guys.........

Old 11-18-2007, 10:07 PM

Better still, use wheel chocks. I have one similar to THESE that came in the tool kit with my '72 toyota (back when you got tool kits with vehicles). I keep it in the storage space where the jack is and it gets lots of use.