Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Unable to shift from park

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:26 PM

Periodically I have trouble shift out of park. When this happens the ignition key will not some out. I had an accident sevreal months ago where I rear ended someone, though this m,ay be a coincidence. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:49 PM

Had same problem in my wife's contour.Its sounds like the saftey switch.You know how you cant shift out of park until the brake is applied, when that saftey switch begins to go bad you will have problem comming out of park and somtimes going in to park.And also it wont let the key come out until your vehicle is in park.What it acually does is there is a lock on your shifter that is realesed when brake applied if that acuator goes bad and does not unlock then you cant shift out of park and if lock is not engaged it will not let key come out of ingnition because is does not think your in park even when you are.I had to buy the whole shifter assembly just because one itty bitty actuator went bad.You can find the lock down there and jimmy it open not sure if key will still come out and of course if you jimmy it open the saftey switch is dissabled so it will shift out of park even without brake being applied.