Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Tires or intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:29 PM

i was wondering if i should get new tires or a new intake. my tires are not in great shape but i would like some one elses thoughts.. thanks

Old 06-07-2006, 03:21 PM

It seems pretty simple to me...Tires!

Tires are an integeral part of your vehicle. Without good tires you are just asking for an accident. Your steering, suspension and comfort depend on them. Besides, you can get some pretty sweet tires that really make your Rodeo look great. I just threw on some Dayton Timberline MT 30 x 9.5 and they look awsome.Change out the rear coil springs to 2+ length(Depending on Rodeos Age - leafs or coils) and get 31-33's under there by torquing up the torsion rods. Pre coil Rodeos came with optional 31 x 10.5s anyway.

As far as new intake, you can do a K&N Filter to start. I'm going to put one on my 99, which looks like the air box is pretty well designed as it is. A little modification might be in order but shouldn't take much. I put a K&N on my 01 explorer sport and cut the airbox wide open. It gave it a great low end boost and a new low grunt sound. All this for the low price of $78.00 Canadian for the filter and about 15 minutes labour.

Maybe you can start with tires and get a makeshift intake to start. We'll all be safer if you do.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:35 PM

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Tires!!!! </TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 AM

definately tires.

a new intake (if you're talking a high flow blah blah blah to make it sound better) will just make you get crappier gas mileage. not like rodeo's dont get crappy enough gas mileage as is.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:44 PM

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">amen</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<BLOCKQUOTE id=4f318748>
Originally Posted by rach6178

not like rodeo's dont get crappy enough gas mileage as is.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 08-07-2006, 12:13 AM

I also agree.

I normally get 15.5 mpg with my rodeo driving to and from work. Its a short drive with lots of traffic. I just got back from a trail run which is mostly highway to/from the trail. I got 19.7 mpg for the round trip [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 AM

<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">I also recently went trail riding witch i bottom out the rodeo[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] and almost tore the exhaust pipes out from under it but anyway in the mud i know it wont get as well but im gonna guess i was getting about 12 to 13 mpg</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">

Old 08-08-2006, 04:11 AM

^ hah. gotta be more careful. lol i almost ripped my side steps off last time i went :]

i dont even know what gas mileage i get... im 1) too poor to fill it up twice in order to calculate it (that's 66 dollars each time i fill up!) and 2) too dumb to figure out how to do it without filling up.

but i can image i get about 12-13 mpg ... come on, girls like me are the reason suv insurance prices are high. we like to drive fast in our steel boxes.Edited by: rach6178

Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 AM

I stress again...TIRES!!!

When I first posted a reply I wondered about an intake for my own Rodeo, I already had the tires. So, I set out to modify the airbox myself because, as I found as many others I'm sure, aftermarket is virtually non-existant for rodeos. I took the airbox out and examined it to see how it was built. I found it to be very restricting in the fact that not a lot of flow from the where it draws air between the inner and outer fender. I hacked this tube off so that it is flush with the wall of the inner fender. I then cut a hole about 1" x 3.5" on the corner where the air wraps around the air box and into the passenger side of the airbox. I think this gives more volume and more direct air flow. I'm not done with it yet because it's still a simple job (AKA Hack job at this point - I was experimenting). What I have found is that my fuel milage probably hasn't decreased much with the stock airfilter. It seems to have decreased slightly but that may be because I was doing 30km over the posted limit on my trip I just went on and added a roof basket witch I know increases drag. What I was impressed with the sound, not as week sounding, but also a real kick of power at the 4000 rpm mark. great for passing. Low end power hasn't been as noticeable. I'm going to fix up the box so it looks better and hopefully flows better and I have a K&amp;N on order.

As it stands I go about 500km - 550km on 80 liters of fuel...about 16 - 20mpg for the imperial folk. I may be able to strech it out but I drive to hard.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 PM

I would say...BOTH! but, i would buy the tire because you should be able to make your own intake, just like "PIGS" did, i took my box off and cut the front and part of the side off from it, and i found that not only did it help in power and exhaust note, but i found about a 2MPG increase with that and a K&N filter, that is if you can stay out of the gas, which is a problem because it sounds good and feels good so you'll want to lay into it more, which is why cold air intakes often get blamed for poor giving a vehicle poor mileage. If i just cruise as normal, my gass mileage is better, hope some of that helps! good luck!!