Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

starter removal ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
what is the easyest way to remove my starter ?, 2ooo isuzu rodeo 4x4 3.2 litre, it seems impossible unless i lift or drop the engine ?, any tips at all?
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 PM

</>
drop the bolts then remove wires and work it out
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 PM

drop the bolts then remove wires and work it out
Not in a 4wd rodeo. You need to remove the bolts for the pipe between the exhaust manifold and y-pipe to move it out of the way.

Others have also removed the drivers side engine mount and lifted the engine or disassembled the starter to take it out in pieces. I went with the exhaust pipe route. Due to rust I had to cut the heads off the flange bolts between the y-pipe and cat converter. I just clamped it back together.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 AM

</>
I just removed and reinstalled a starter on a 91 4x4 and you dont have to remove the exhuast or remove a mount it will come out
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 PM

'91 is different. Completely different engine, transmission, and body. '93-97 rodeos are difficult, '98+ rodeos are even more so.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 AM

I have a '93 and I had to take the starter apart. It's a pain for sure, but certainly was easier than taking the exhaust out. If you can manage, the y exhaust manifold will free up enough space to edge it out. Otherwise take the starter off, and rotate in the space and disassemble and take the pieces out. To replace, take the pieces apart and I used some cardboard to keep the bearings in place until I could get it all into the space and put back together. Good luck. Made me want to get rid of the rodeo...< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

</>
i agree with gizmo,move back the drivers sideexhaust an the starter comes out painless starters on made to come out in pieces either loosen driver side engine mount bolts an tilt or move the exhaust.moving the exhaust is much easier.bolts can be replaced thats even how the dealer does it. per shop manual
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 PM

Just finished replacing the starter on my 95 Rodeo, 3.2, 4WD. It wasn''t easy but I didn''t have to cut, or torch anything. Disconnect the battery. Jack up the vehicle and support on jack stands. Remove the driver side front wheel. There are rubber splash guards that can be partially removed by stretching them over the heads of their plastic retainers. You only need to remove the right side and push it out of the way to get access to the top of the starter where the wiring is. From the top you can remove the wiring. I used a small pocket knife to push the smaller wire connector off it''s terminal. The larger wire can be removed with a socket and a few extensions and swivel connector.

The next step is to remove the short piece of header pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to the Y-collector. To do this I removed all of the nuts and bolts at both ends of the short piece. Then I removed the 4 bolts at the flange at the rear of the y-collector. This loosened things up a bit. I loosened things up as much as I could then jacked up the exhaust system by putting a jack on the connector to the rear of the catalytic converter. Jacking the exhaust system up gave me enough room to push the loosened short piece away from the y- collector and remove it.

Remove the heat shield covering the cable bundles passing under the starter. You will need to push the cable bundles over to the driver side of the vehicle to get at the inside bolt holding the starter in place. Remove both of the starter bolts. The start should come right out through the opening created by removing the short piece of exhaust header.

I was happy to complete this job and save myself several bills in the process. Good luck!