Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Looking to buy 93 Rodeo - questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Default Looking to buy 93 Rodeo - questions

Hey all, new to the forum. Looking at buying a cheap Rodeo, thought I'd ask some questions.

First one I'm looking at is a 93 V6 4wd 5-speed. ~145k miles, described as "Good Engine and Trans. Runs very good. Body and interior in good condition." Probably going to take a look at it later this morning, for sale by owner.

Second one I might look at is a 97 V6 4wd, trans unknown. Has a small list of needed repairs such as:
"Needs speedometer cable, front door locks, window regulator, front windshield, rear brakes" Odo reads 135k (although who knows how long that speedo cable has been broken)

Both are in the same price range (under $1000). I'm just looking for a decent winter 4x4 in Chicago. Are there any specific things to look out for on older Rodeos? All the pro and consumer reviews I read on these things say they're pretty reliable, other than some oil leaks and the occasional alternator.

Well, thanks for any tips on what to look for as I check these vehicles out.

James

Chicago

Old 12-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Default dropped it

Well, guess I shoulda gone with a user name a bit more general... I ended up buying the 97 automatic. Ah well. I stopped and looked at the 93, but they people selling it weren't around to let me drive it, plus it was pretty rusty. Person selling the 97 was available, and although I think the 97 might need a bit more work than the 93 did, it's in pretty good condition inside and out.

For starters, she made it home ~15 miles, and ran pretty smooth on the highway. I have no idea how fast I was going, since the speedo cable is broken. However, all systems seemed to be working well. My immediate to-do list is to remove and straighten/paint the bumper, replace the hood (found a great one at the junkyard, gonna buy it on 1/2 price Tuesday), replace the grille (already bought that, at the JY), and replace the driver's window regulator (totally missing). Mechanical items include some leaky fuel lines at the tank, exhaust leak near the engine (praying it isn't a cracked manifold), and significant exhaust replacement in the back.

But hey, other than those items, seems like a solid truck, for only $650 too.