Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Gas Cap

Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Hi, I have an 02 Rodeo and if the black plastic thing that holds the cap from falling is caught when screwed back in, a light comes on the dashboard and ya have to go in and have the error reset. My question is w/gas prices rising, I want to purchase a locking gas cap. How will that affect the error? What do I do about the plastic thing? Thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 04:39 AM

I have a 1999 rodeo and replaced the gas cap with the locking type because I thought someone was stealing gas from the parking lot at her place of employment.She filled up and the next day would be down to quarter tank, this is a 4 cylinder mind you.

Any way changing the cap had no effect on the vehicle, other then improved gas mileage.(from the anti theft protection)

Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 AM

Thank you for replying. I went to the mechanic yesterday and because the 02''s have that sensor due to the plastic piece that holds the cap, if removed or stuck, the engine light will come on and they have to clear the code. He advised me not to install a cap. He also said if someone wants to steal gas, they can easily drill a hole underneath and let it drain into a bucket. I don''t want a hole in my gas system, that''s for sure. Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM

I went to the mechanic yesterday and because the 02''''s have that sensor due to the plastic piece that holds the cap, if removed or stuck, the engine light will come on and they have to clear the code.
I''ve never heard that before. Is he saying the plastic cap lanyard has a sensor in it? Mine never had the lanyard, I think that mechanic is full of crap. I put a locking cap on mine when the seal went bad on my old cap and set a P0440 code. I thought about the drilled holes in the tank as well but doesnt matter either way. There is an anti siphon device in the fuel filler line to prevent a tube being stuck in there. Now all theives will either drill holes in the tank or cut the rubber filler tube below the anti siphon device.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM

I''ve gotten my lanyard partically stuck between the cap when putting it back on once and the engine light came on...took it to Isuzu and the mechanic said that''s what it was...didn''t charge me.

This mechanic said not to put a locking cap on because of that and because if someone wanted to take gas they could by cutting or drilling.

I didn''t know about the anti siphon device in the fuel filler line...that''s pretty cool.

Thanks!