Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Alternator Bolt WON'T Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Default Alternator Bolt WON'T Thread.

Hello all,

I am finishing a build on the 92 rodeo I just bought. It is the 3.1 v6 manual. I am almost done but am struggling with the alternator of all things. There is one bolt that goes into the rear of the alternator, as far as I can tell this bolt serves as a ground as it leads back to the negative terminal of the battery. However this bolt will NOT thread in. There is also a little black square that goes in the back of the alternator in the same spot where this bolt goes. Anyone know what I am doing wrong that won't let me put this bolt back in? I am ready to buy a new wiring harness for the alternator it is so frustrating. It feels like there are some threads where this bolt is supposed to go but the bolt will not catch them, it honestly feels like the bolt itself is too small. Maybe someone replace it an used the wrong size bolt? I am starting to think this bolt doesn't thread at all, and it just used that black square plug to hold it in, but if this is the case then the bolt is still way too loose and falls out of the alternator with ease.

Please help so I can get my Truck back on the road!

-Jordan

Old 08-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Maybe the thread is going back to the positive terminal? Not exactly sure as I have the battery out and my posts have absolutely no markings.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Default Fixed

For anyone else who experiences this problem with the alternator bolt... a new alternator is your best bet. I bought a new one from rock auto that came with the bolt pre-tapped. I literally tried everything else under the sun before I opted to buy a new one. Good Luck!