Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

96 rodeo leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Default 96 rodeo leaks

I tried everything and can't stop the leak that seems like it comes from the sun roof. It can't ...I caulked it shut and removed the lugage rack and filled holes with sealant .I can't see where the water is comming in .Any body have an answer?
I love my rodeo and I have owned it seval years. It has a new timing belt water pump,idler pulley ,front shaft universals,blower, 2 new front drive axles and new tires and alignment. At 168,000 miles she runs very well, but I get soaked every time it rains.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Also, after reading the blogs about the interferance 1996 3.2 engine, well I just replaced my belt (before re-assembley of all related parts) and it fired right up (If it did not fire up then I'd only be in the hole for about 40 bucks )then I removed it(belt) and replaced water pump and pulley- wish i had enough money to but the whole pulley kit but I only replaced the one that siezed.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Have you tried caulking the screw holes for the latch mount plate that mounts to the glass? Also, have you checked to see that the 4 drain holes drain properly? They are located at each corner. Also, the rubber grommet that surrounds the glass is easily removable and cleaned and resealed. There is also a steel plate that has 2 ears on it that catch the latch mechanism of the glass. There are four screws that go through it and also a rubber seal that connects it to the plastic telescoping mechanism. Remove and clean and seal the screws.

My '92 was leaking bad and these procedures appear to have fixed the problem. The rubber grommet on the glass tends to cause the water to flow to the top of the latch mechanism steel plate. On mine, the telescoping tower was constantly wet.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Default leaking Rodeo

Thanks ,can I get at 4 drain holes from interior liner (removal)? The entire sun roof is caulked ,outer seem,plate screws etc. My latest thought was the rear window wash line letting water in ,so I pulled off the rubber hose and pointed it harmlessly away from top deck. I still had water drip on me last rain storm. I am about to remove interior liner to see if i can find anything.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:23 AM

If you have caulked the sunroof between the grommet and roof/painted surface, it may still be leaking between the grommet and the glass. Where are you seeing the leaking coming from?

btw, the four drain holes are only accessible once the glass has been removed. It unlocks and lifts out rear end first. But, you'd have to cut the caulking first.

A way to see if the leaking is coming from the sun roof would be simple. Get some plastic film (visqueen) and take it securely to the painted surface on all sides. Duck tape will work for this test. Then flood the area with a water hose. You could probably seal it with Saranwrap stretch plastic food wrap. You would just need to tape the overlapping joints.

Remember that water will wick along any unsealed joint. This wicking capillary action can move the water a long distance.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Thanks ,I have given up, even though the sun roof is completely sealed but still leaks I will try the suran wrap and duct tape when it gets warm again out side .

Old 03-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Default seal

I have been unsuccessful in finding a seal ,flat oring type that is located behind the oil filter housing ,,,,though i found it and ordered it ...was way too smalll about the size of a quarter... I need an oring about 4" diameter(te sizw of an oil filter...the filter unscrews, a nut is exposed in the center of houing once removed the houing comes off... that is where th oring is ..... I have an oil leak from that area....thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 04:06 AM

Look in the phone book for hydraulic repair/parts. An O-ring this size is quite common for sealing hydraulic rams and cylinders. Automatic transmissions also use O-rings in this size range.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 AM

Then flood the area with a water hose. You could probably seal it with Saranwrap stretch plastic food wrap. You would just need to tape the overlapping joints.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM

got one on- line ...thanks .....oil leak stopped ..!yeah ..no more oil leaks after changing right side valve cover gasket and now with the oring on the oil cooler...at last no more spots ..knock on wood ...weather warming up soon will takle roof leak /sunroof leak ....again !!

Quick Reply: 96 rodeo leaks