Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

'94 rodeo 3.2L no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Default '94 rodeo 3.2L no spark

title says it all...was driving home from work last week and it just died in rush hour traffic...like somone had turned the key off. checked all fuses and relays at that time but didn't have a chance to check anything else out until today.
no spark on plugs, 12V on black/orange wire on ignition module..just crank and crank and crank and crank....
CEL came on but i think i cleared the error code before i checked it as now i check the codes on the test harness and just get "1" "2" and nothing else

wondering if crank pos sensor (ckp) could cause this...and wondering how to check...i did check the cpk wires coming into the ign module and the resistance measures 963 ohms.

i checked the resistance of hte coil packs and get 5.75k ohms from lead to lead on each coil pack. wires check under 30k each...

can anyone tell me where to start here? man, i wish it had a carb and a distributor..

HELP...i need to get this thing to work tomorrow.

thanks in advance guys....

john

Old 08-10-2010, 07:04 AM

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. It was bad enough to not give the correct signal to the ECM but not flag an ODBII code. It was a tough one. If its not this, it is probably the ECM.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by leejm12
I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. It was bad enough to not give the correct signal to the ECM but not flag an ODBII code. It was a tough one. If its not this, it is probably the ECM.
hi leejm12.. this being a 94 there is no cam position sensor, only the crankshaft pos sensor....i've pulled the ecm and nothing looked 'burnt" but that doesn't mean anything.

am digging and will let you know what i find.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:22 AM

The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) does the same thing as the CMP, senses TDC and synchs the injectors. Might be worth a try swapping out. If the ECM doesn't get a good signal, it will not start. You might also want to check the wiring to the CKP or any of the grounds. The grounds on the 94~96 have been known to cause some problems but I thought you were probably ok there since you were getting 12 v to the ICM. Mine is a 97 and I'v had some electrical issues like the CMP, bad ground terminal to the battery and a loose wire to the rear ABS. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM

Another thought. I was reading somewhere about a not start condition on Rodeos due to a bad Temperature sensor. Believe it was a recall issue. Since its a 94, you aren't getting ODBII codes, so you might want to check the integrity of the ECT. The ECT does have direct impact on the PCM for fuel injection and ignition timing. Are you getting a full 12 volts thru the ECM relay?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM

ok, more info...i'm a cheap a$$ (no surprise).
i decided ot try the crank pos sensor first (what a p.i.t.a. to change...bastard didn't want to come out...finally got it )
anyhow, the first time i hit the key it ran but a bit rough. i reved it up a bit and it died like before.
i pulled the code and it is a code 42. my understanding Code 42 is Electronic spark timing fault?
pulled a plug wire and cranked to check for spark...nice blue spark and the thing started on 5 plugs...but died very quickly.
since that time it has not started and id does not have spark any more.

next stop? ICM or ECM? has anyone ever had this problem with a 3.2L?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by dbikers; 08-11-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Default My Thoughts on this

In my Hanes Manual it states that the 42 code is the Fuel cut-off relay malfunction circuit fault (2.3L liter). 42 for the 3.1L, is for the wiring or ICM is bad. For the 3.1 it states: "The electronic spark timing of the ICM is open. Check the wiring and connections or replace the ICM as necessary. "
There is no mention for the 3.2Liter. So I am not sure but sounds like the ICM is bad. Check the wiring and fuel cut-off relay, just to be safe. Looking at the circuit diagram, theres only the ECM, ICM, and Crankshaft sensor, plus the switch.

Last edited by leejm12; 08-12-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by leejm12
In my Hanes Manual it states that the 42 code is the Fuel cut-off relay malfunction circuit fault (3.2 liter). 42 for the 3.1L is what you state.
Check the wiring and fuel cut-off relay. Also, it might be a bad ICM. Looking at the circuit diagram, theres only the ECM, ICM, and Crankshaft sensor, plus the switch. The cut-off relay makes sense for that code.
hey Lee. i saw the same thing in my haynes but looked on line and found the ignition code.
I looked everywhere in the owners manual and the haynes adn couldn't find any fuel shut off...looked on line and it stated there was no shutoff on the '94 rodeo...
i'm kind of at a loss...doi you know where the 94 rodeo fuel shut-off is?

i will post findings.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:51 PM

continued....
So i came home tonight and connected the battery and tried to start the rodeo....started on the first crank! i let it warm up at idle (about 900rpm) for about 5 minutes. then i decided to try to rev it up a little. it went to about 1500 rpm and promptly died. i started it again (it started right up), let it idle for a short time and tried to rev again...same thing, died at about 1500 rpm.
it would not start after that...it's exactly what it did last night....no spark, no start i tried to pull codes but there are none to pull
i did notice that the ecm (in the left front kick panel) was putting off some heat. the case was not hot but warm. i am not sure if it is supposed to do this but i guess i'm beginning to think that this is not a grounding issue and more of an electronic issue...has anyone else on this forum has ever had this happen on a 94 3.2
thanks in advance

john

Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Default Tough One

Well, I looked for this relay in the book and cldn't find it in the diagrams, so they might be talking about the fuel pump relay. Not sure. All your
symtoms sound like either the ECM, ICM or the wiring in between. Hv you checked all the wiring, especially the grounds? The problem I found with the CMP sensor was causing the ECM not to function correctly, even though it didn't fire off a ODB II code. So a sensor could be going bad and causing your problems. Did you check the fuel pressure regulator and make sure you have good pressure? You almost have to start swapping out the items until it gets fixed - in talking to the local dealership, thats pretty much what they do. Sorry I don't have more to offer... RotaryNut on this forum might have another idea. Good luck and let me know if you find the culprit.

Quick Reply: '94 rodeo 3.2L no spark