Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

4L30E Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:36 AM

I have done a lot of service work myself on my vehicle including cleaning out the shift selector last summer. I now need to change the fluid on my transmission. It currently is up on the rack and I am a little confussed. I understand about no dipstick and forcing in the fluid with a pump (would a good hand pump on a can work - think TinMan Wizard of Oz).

My question is I have read about "over fill" plug and "service" plug. I found the overfill plug and drain plug rather easy but where is the "service" plug or am I just filling it from the "over fill" plug?

the following link shows what I am calling the overfill plug and drain plug- http://autorepair.about.com/library/...ons/bl201a-lib .htm

I am in the middle of the fluid/filter change. Also I am finding I need to remove the cross member(shown in pink on the above link) out of the way to get at the back two bolts on the tranny pan. Wasn't warned about this.... or having to drop the adapter pan, hopefully there is no second gasket that will really be needed...

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-01-2008, 07:35 PM

I have a 5 speed so never done it but here is info from the faq about doing filter change and fluid swap.

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq58

Old 03-02-2008, 07:30 AM

Thank you for your response. I did read faq58 before starting. I have completed the job and am going to report some general observations. Not addressed in the faq that might be helpful to others:
< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();</>
It seems if you have a 4x4 you have to reposition the cross member out of the way and reposition the 4x4 mount between the cross member and transfer case. 17mm bolts for cross member and 14 mm bolts for mount.

After cleaning the pan it is easy to attach the new gasket by putting the gasket on the pan then inserting the 10mm bolts back into the pan. The bolts will hold the gasket in place as you put the pan back. I also partly filled the pan with tranny fluid almost 3 qts and carefully bolted it back in place with new fluid in it. This cut down on the amount of fluid I had to force back into the pan.

It took a long time to refill, do as much as you can first with out engine running then start engine and continue to add. I found it necessary to run the vehicle through all gears a number of times to get all 5 plus quarts of fluid in. Also transmission if cold can take a long time to drain especially if your transmission is having problems when you do the service. I pulled drain plug let it sit until fluid stopped. Then put plug back in to remove drain pan out or way so I would not loose plug in drain pan. Removed tranny pan and found a couple of qrts of fluid in my pan.

I have to do this again in a couple weeks and will have to figure a better way of getting fluid in the trans, took way way too long and too messy with my 8oz hand pump.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 AM

I am about to do this on my sons' '98 Rodeo. Thanks for the warning about the X-member, he has 4WD. I am going to try and run a long, clear tube into the fill hole while Steve (my son) fills it through a funnel while standing at the side of the vehicle.
I'll let you know how it goes.