Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

2002 Rodeo timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Default 2002 Rodeo timing belt question

Just purchased a 2002 Rodeo 3.2L has 99 K on it , gonna do the timing belt , water pump and all idlers and tensioner . Looking at Gates and Dayco complete kits , or suggestions on the best parts . How difficult are these belts to change ? I am a semi retired auto technition , but in all the years in the shop never did a belt on a 3.2L . I know referencing all the timing marks is crucial . Do the cams on these like to roll when the tension is removed ? Any other tips would be appriciated . Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM

Just MARK the timing marks with WHITE marker BEFORE you take the timing belt off. Sometimes the passenger cams will roll a bit and I usually have a friend on hand to hold it in place while putting the belt on. Your engine has dual cams with a single external drive gear. The 2 cams are connected with a chain set up. I was so HAPPY to hear you were changing the water pump. I used to have to pleed with my customers back then to replace it NOW. The answer is it is not leaking so why do I have to replace it. Then I would tell them how much it would cost later. THEN, they agreed. I think they figured it was going to be too much money??

BTW, do NOT use reman parts of any kind in this area!! Had water pumps leak, idlers start making noise etc. I do not go to the dealer but to my parts house as I still have my shop.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Use OEM parts, or do it twice
Justin

Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 PM

I have found that OEM is not the only way. I have a wholesale account with the parts house I use. I save MONEY buying there 'NEW' not rebuilt parts over OEM by at least 35-40%. And in this economy you need to save all you can. I have NEVER had a problem using there parts. ALWAYS buy new is my motto.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Got a Gates Master Timing belt kit with the PowerGrip Premium OE belt ,new wp , hyd tensioner , tensioner and idler from RockAuto . Did the water manifold gaskets and water tube o-rings as well , before I put on the new belt , had to get those 4 parts from the dealer Morries in MN , and they had the parts in stock called them on Monday and they were at my door Wednsday , Cam the parts guy there is awesome to deal with prices and shipping were very reasonable as well . Did plugs and boots while I was at it , plugs were a challenge , they were a little on the sticky side , but took my time and didn't pull any threads , antiseized the new ones . Got the belt on turned it over by hand and the marks were all GOOD TO GO !!! Runs better than when I bought it . Plus I now have peace of mind knowing the belt is new . Thanks for all the replies .

Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Hi Kwint,
Glad to hear she is up and running. The plugs would have come out easier if engine was warmed up but I see you know the drill as EASY DOES IT and VERY happy to hear you antiseized them on install. One question as I did not read that you flushed the cooling system and that you replaced the thermostat?? Hope you did it then and not have to do it later.

Hope we all were of some help to you.