Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

2001 rodeo camshaft sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:26 AM

I bought it new, 2001 Rodeo 2WD S 4CYL 2.2 65k miles or 45k if you subtract the extra miles the oddometer has been adding in, still not fixed, that's another story read below.

started with check engine lite, autozone read the code as camshaft position sensor low input. Took it to dealer, had to replace shorting out sensor......over $500!! Not covered under warranty!! They gave me the old part. I later searched the web and cannot yet find anyone that carries the part so that I can compare prices. I have a shop manual and I still can't even figure out where this part is. Anyone have anything on this at all?

I like the truck but it has had problems from day one.

1.)Windsheild replaced for warped uneven blurry glass (check yours) all the rodeos on the lot had bad windsheilds. Ordered and replaced at a later date.
2.)A/C wouldn't work (bad sensor).
3.)Rear cup holder parts messed up.
All this found the first day!
4.) Then the Oddometer nightmare! It's counting more miles than traveled! Also reading mph too fast. Check yours! Had the whole cluster replaced, still not fixed! Is this how they get out of the 10yr or 100k mile warranty??
5.)Pinging noises come and go.
6.)All kinds of rattle noises on idle.....dealer said it was OK.
7.)replaced timing belt and tensioner, tech found back of water pump came off and was scrapping timing belt! Replaced pump too.
8.)What's with the dip stick for the oil?? Everyone that reads it gives me a different answer! Is the full mark the top bead or the bottom? I gave up and started changing my own oil and putting in what the specs say, everyone else has been overfilling it. Or I'm underfilling it.
9.)Asked how much they give me to trade it in, a mere $3500.

Should I keep it? What should I do?

Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

the cam shaft sensor is behind the timing cover,an no you dont have to take the whole cover off to access it.take the spark plug cover off an you,ll see the harness to it right in front.then take off the big plastic cover that the harness is passing through.theres a 10mm bolt holding it in place.push it out the way.take the serp belt off.maybe take a couple 10mm bolts holding the timing cover to the block,so you can get more room to pry back the cover at the top.look between the 2 cam gears an you,ll see the sensor.theres a torx bolt holding it in place.before you take it loose,do your self a favor an stuff a couple of rags down the cover alittle.just incase you drop the 1 bolt that holds the sensor in place.YES isuzu sensor is very expensive,but daewoo uses the same one for 200 dollars less.check models...leganza,nubira.its the same austrailan design engine, idnt kno why isuzu used this engine.........an YES.......TRADE IT......MAINTENCE TRAP.......YOU should be able to get one for that price.an you can install it yourself.its that easy to get to.500 was parts an labor i bet.DON,T get a aftermarket one you,ll regret it.if you cant find the daewoo ,get a used isuzuone.i,ve seen those sensors short an catch fire.isuzu knows thisEdited by: ISUZUGURU

Old 12-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

MAKE SUR E YOU HAVE THE CORRECT TIRE SIZES ALSO THIS WILL THROW OFF THTE SPEED METER.OR THE CLUSTER IS MAYBE BAD.I HAVENT SEEN THAT PROBLEM BEFORE,UNLESS THE VEHICLE WAS STRUCK BY LIGHTNING.GET A CARFACT REPORT

Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

THE ODOMETER SHOULD BE DIGITAL,ALSO THE PCM PLAYS A ROLE IN THAT,AN A FAULTY SPEED SENSOR.THE RATTLING NOISE YOU MAY HEAR IN THE ENGINE,MAYBE NORMAL SOUND.ESP IF IT MORE APPERENT WHEN COLD,AN KINDA QUIETINS UP HOT.IT PISTON SLAP.NORMAL SOUND.SOME G.M MODELS REPLACE THERE PISTONS FOR THAT NOISE BUT SOME DONT,BECAUSE I TDOESNT EFFECT THE ENGINE OR CAUSE ANY DAMAGE.ANY NOISES YOU HEAR IN THE REAR MAY BE THE REAR TAILGATE GLASS,ISUZU HAS A FIX FOR THAT ALSO, THERE S SOME RUBBER ORINGS THAT CAN BE INSTALLED WHERE THE HINDGES ARE TO STOP THE SQUEEKING.Edited by: ISUZUGURU

Old 12-31-2005, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the info and advice......I haven't had the spark plug cover off yet because of the funny looking bolts holding it on.

The tire sizes match what my owners manual says to use, the cluster was changed by the dealer with no results, I first noticed it when I reset the trip meter to zero at a mile marker and when I ran 10 miles my oddometer said 11,

then with several diff trucks and cars even the dealers tried this, travelling down road together with cell phones in each car to compare mph on speedometer, my rodeo is travelling 66mph compared to 60mph actual.

What's a carfact report?

Old 12-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

a carfact report tells you if the car has been in a flood or accident,salvage title how many owners before you had it,its history about where its been.you can get it online.just get your vin number

Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

your dealer can also get you a more detailed one.isuzus are very maintience requiring,the 2.2l can be decent around town ,but not so hott long distance driving,stay on top of your maintence with it,but dont go broke doing it.....how long have you had it?

Old 12-31-2005, 03:26 PM

"your dealer can also get you a more detailed one.isuzus are very maintience requiring,the 2.2l can be decent around town ,but not so hott long distance driving,stay on top of your maintence with it,but dont go broke doing it.....how long have you had it?"

I'm the original owner and would like to do my own work on it using the shop manual, but that camshift sensor was too hard to locate.

How much money could I possibly have to spend on maintenance? Compared to buying another.