Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

1997 Rodeo ICM testing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Okay, lets see. Starts intermitently but runs well and doesn't shut down? Could be the FP relay, could also be the relay to run ECM. Could be a bad connection too or a lose wire. Do you have a set of Noid lights? One would plug a fuel injector connector into it and view it while you turn it over or start it. That might narrow down a Fuel issue or a wiring issue. Again, once I had one that from the relay got the full 12volts and after going from one side of the vehicle to the other, it only had 1.2V at the injector. Took a while to find but I did. Bad connection in a muti-pin plug. The fuel pressure tester is a good test to as it could be a weak FP or a bad Pressure Regulator or bad filter. Did you ever do the starting fluid test?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Default Thanks

Will give it a try this weekend. I read that post I think - was a 2001 Rodeo if I remember correctly - nice piece of work. I checked the relays and they seem fine. The injectors are clicking, although I don't know the voltage. Hard to get at them but I think I will get a noid light to try them out. I suspect its either the fuel pressure regulator, or a bad connection somewhere. Will keep working it. Thanks, great feedback and help, not an easy one to solve.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Ok, looks like we find the problem. Checked the injectors when it wouldnt start - and no signal. So ECM isn't firing the injectors. It had to be the ECM or a sensor signal that feeds the ECM. Decided to try the Camshaft Position Sensor and success! It appears that this sensor can be bad enough to not synch the injectors correctly and mis-inform the ECM so that theres a no-start condition, and yet not trigger the ODBII code. That was a surprise for me. Lesson learned is don't trust any sensor, if there isn't an ODBII code in memory. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 AM

Glad to hear you got there. I seem to always get the difficult ones and it is such a good feeling when you find the cultprit. Good job!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Default Thanks

Your experience helped me a lot. Many thanks, I just was really surprised that the CMP sensor was going bad and not triggering an ODBII code. Have you ever had that situation occur to you? A real learning experience on this vehicle. Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by rotarynut
I have had 7 Rodeo's. From 95 to 03. The most odd problems seem to me to centered around electrical connectors. A 95 i once had refused to start right. Two different mechanics put in a fuel pump, filter, coil packs, ignition module, etc. Then gave up individually. I crawled under and found that the crank angle sensor wire was chaffed right around the oil pan. I tapped up the bare wires and covered it with a piece of garden hose as a protector and then it started and ran fine. I have had my 01 and 02 have an erractic fuel sending unit issue, the 01 was supposed to have a bad computer ended up being a bad connection near the battery. This has happened to others with the same year.

But to get back to your question, you can take the ignition control module to your local parts store and they should be able to hook it up to test. Make sure they run the test 3 times and if you buy a new one, run the test on it at least twice. Also, do not forget about the dielectric grease that you need to keep it from overheating. It is suppossed to help transfer heat to the mount to dissipate the heat. Should be relatively easy to do for them. If memory serves me the 97 has the icm up front with 3 connectors and the coil packs. Remove the coils and then there could be up to 3 nuts below to remove the icm. Let us know how it works out.
Where is the Ignition control module located on the 1999? I am having the same issue. Car lost power on the freeway. I tried to start it but it will only crank.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 AM

Heres my thought. You can dismount the ICM and have it tested on the the older ones. On the newer ones they are distributorless ignitions. I have a gut feel that your problem is the alternator though. Due to the loss in power, when the alternator goes out it almost kills the tranny and kills the engine rpms. Everything is electrically controlled.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by rotarynut
Heres my thought. You can dismount the ICM and have it tested on the the older ones. On the newer ones they are distributorless ignitions. I have a gut feel that your problem is the alternator though. Due to the loss in power, when the alternator goes out it almost kills the tranny and kills the engine rpms. Everything is electrically controlled.
Interesting. Please follow this thread until I solve my issue. Where is the ICM located?

Seems like the part is very hard to locate (to buy).

Last edited by tractng; 03-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Default Solution?

Well, after this issue, I ran into two other problems. Intermittant not starting, even though it would crank, and finally P203 error message.
Found a used ICM and swapped it out and now the hard starting problem
went away. On the P203, it turned out to be an open wire where the
harness enters the inside cabin and runs to the ECM. That was a hard
one to figure out since everything else was checking good. Alternator seems to be ok but I will keep my eyes on it. Now its happily running! thanks, -J

Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by leejm12
Well, after this issue, I ran into two other problems. Intermittant not starting, even though it would crank, and finally P203 error message.
Found a used ICM and swapped it out and now the hard starting problem
went away. On the P203, it turned out to be an open wire where the
harness enters the inside cabin and runs to the ECM. That was a hard
one to figure out since everything else was checking good. Alternator seems to be ok but I will keep my eyes on it. Now its happily running! thanks, -J

Upon long hours of research and testing today, I didn't have any luck. I did have sparks at the plug. The 1999 Passport doesn't seem to have the ICM? Looks like its built into the ECM?

I might have to look at the camshaft position sensor too. Its a different from throttle position sensor correct (i had to clean that years ago for gears mis-shift)?

Last edited by tractng; 03-11-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 1997 Rodeo ICM testing?