Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

02 Rodeo Sport clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM

I bought my 02 Rodeo Sport in October 2006 with 63,000 miles on it. Had the slave cylinder replaced in June of 2007. In Sept. 07, I had to replace the clutch (roughly 71,000 miles). Here I am a year later, and the clutch is toast again (79,000 miles).

This is NOT my first manual transmission, but it is the first one I''ve ever had to replace a clutch on...and TWICE?! There''s no way my driving managed to burn up a clutch in a year. I had a 5-spd Blazer when I lived in CO and every stop sign or stop light was on a major incline...never burned that one up!

Any thoughts on what could cause recurring clutch failure? I''m thinking it has to be something mechanical that *should be* covered under warranty (which expires in a month). I sure can''t afford to keep replacing the clutch every year!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:14 PM

Was it an OEM clutch or aftermarket? If aftermarket it probably didnt fit right or had some other defect. Mine was replaced at 88k miles from the guy I bought it from because the previous owner didnt know how to drive a stick and most likely didnt care (was repo''d). 20k miles and lots of offroading later and mine is still doing well.

Also, alot of ppl replace the slave cylinder and master cylinder at the same time cuz usually when one goes they both do. Possibly some crud from slave going bad plugged up part of the master and was not allowing it to fully release which let the clutch slip (?).

I dont know of anything else that would cause it to burn out in a year other then poor installation. Unless the clutch its self is actually ok and a messed up master cylinder is making it appear to be bad.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I''m not positive, but pretty sure that they replaced it with OEM. I can''t find my paperwork from when I had it done, but I seem to recall them replacing the master at that time too. They showed me the clutch disk when they got everything taken apart and it looked like the thing had been through a war! The best way I can describe it is that it looked like the surface was been shredded.

I guess I''ve gotta rummage through the house and see what all I can sell off to have this thing replaced again...and just pray that the next one lasts more than a year! I really love this truck, but I can''t even count how many times I''ve had it in the shop in the 23 months since I bought it!