Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

’01 fuel gauge slant on the issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:40 PM

Hey folks,

not justa few lines down someone was having trouble with a fuel gauge issue, as I was, but from a different angle.

My fuel gauge got intermittent and inaccurate at best, then eventually the CEL came on and it threw code PO463, fuel sensor circuit voltage too high or something like that.

I am second owner of a '01. Originally it came with a 10 year/120,000 mile powertrain warranty including isuzu roadside service. On the sale from the original owner, the warranty period/mileage is cut in half. I have 59,800 miles, how is that for cutting it close?

Well, for all you folks with '00 or earlier models, you may be able to buy a $40 fuel tank sending unit....but for '01s and later, you need to replace the whole friggin' fuel pump assembly...the assembly costs around $300 (much cheaper if bought from the 1-800 number for St. Charles Isuzu in Missouri!) Turns out since the sensor is a part of the "fuel pump" and not available separately, it IS INDEED covered by the powertrain warranty!!

Wahoo! I'll get the dealer to fix it! Well, until we realize that my Rodeo might hit 60,000 before I get it to the dealer 125 miles away, who can't get to it until the end of the week. So you know what, the dealer said to call Isuzu Roadside Service and they will pick up the tab to get it towed to the dealer! SO, after no less than three calls routed to Pakistan, India, or Bangladesh from the sound of it, they arranged for a local wrecker company to bring my Rodeo to St. Louis on a flatbed at no charge!

I just got a call from the dealer who said the Rodeo is ready and it was indeed covered by the warranty. Closest dealer was actually Webster Groves Isuzu in St. Louis area.

What a long story....

to add to it, the service guy said to use Seafoam to get it to stop knocking with 87 octane gas....AND folks say the Seafoam will ALSO reduce the oil consumption that these engines are known for. Two birds with one stone I guess.

Maybe me and this Rodeo will work out after all....

Joe

Old 01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

YOU WOULDNT HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE PUMP ANY HOW IF IT WASNT UNDER WARRENTY,ISUZU SELL A 50 DOLLAR KIT FOR THE REPAIR,AN CAN BE USED ON THE NEWER ISUZUS ALSO,EXCEPT FOR THE AMIGO.WARRENTY JUST WANT THE WHOLE PUMP BACK FOR THERE REASON 0N 01 AN UP ISUZUS

Old 01-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

I,VE BEEN HEARing ALOT OF GOOD THINGS ABOUT SEA FOAM,HAVENT TRIED IT YET,IVE BEEN USING LUCAS FUEL TREATMENTS,AN b.g.,chevron techron cleaners,an g.m.top engine cleaner best of all