Pickup Talk about Isuzu Pickup related topics here...

Sudden Stall

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Hello all;

I have a question I cannot figure out the answer to. A few days ago I'm heading into work in my 1994 Isuzu pickup, regular cab, 5-speed, two-wheel drive, 2.3L engine with 305K miles on it. I live about 30 miles from work. I bought the truck new, so I have had it all it's life.

The truck was running great all the way into town. Took a right turn onto the street my work is on, and boom! The car stalls. All the lights on the dash come on, just like it does when it stalls. I tryrestarting it - no luck. I hear a spinning, like the starter, when I try to start it again, but no luck. I coast the truck down the slight hill, take a wide left into the lot and coast right into my usual spot at work, where my truck has been since Thursday.

I checked the battery - tested at 15+ volts. The alternator is good, from what I can tell. It's not draining the battery, and everything else works in the truck,(radio, horn, lights, wipers, etc.)except it just won't start. Fuses are good, and test good with a voltmeter. I have NOT done a visual inspection of them all.

The starter spins, andsounds like it, and I have gas at the carb, HOWEVER: no spark from the distributor. I replaced the coil, thinking it might be that, but no help there...the rotor inside the distributor and the contacts on the cap appear good; no cracks or anything like that...I had the plugs, wires and cap replaced in March, so I don't believe it would be those...I am at a loss. ECM, maybe? A short inside the wrapped wires from the coil? It's like it's starving for fuel, but I have gas at the carb...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-John

Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Does the motor turn over or does the starter just spin? If the motor turns over but it wont fire you could have a bigger problem. you may have broken a timing belt, or jumped timing. If the motor is turning I would check for spark first. You can purchase an inline spark tester for about $5 at a local parts store. All you do is plug it in to the #1 spark plug and plug the sparkplug wire into it. Then turn the motor over and look for a blue spark. If you have spark, fuel, and air I would check the timing belt next. If the motor isint turning and the starter is, get some buddies to pushstart the truck. While they are pushing if you pop the truck into first gear it should start and if it runs that could just mean you have a simple starter problem.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 09-09-2008, 01:25 AM

my 94 did the same thing and come to find out the bolts were not tightened properly and backed out and the starter leaned down and couldnt touch the fly wheel. a few turns of a scoket and a lil extra just to make sure and i was off and running again

Old 11-06-2008, 11:43 AM

i had a problem with my starter as well. the solenoid would pop out but it wouldn''t turn the flywheel. just simply replaced it and it works fine now.