Pickup Talk about Isuzu Pickup related topics here...

86’ Isuzu Pup

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forums and I'm starting off with a doozy of a thread. I'm a kid, 16 to be exact, and I'm working on my first project which is fixing up an 86' isuzu pup. I have little to no experience or knowledge of cars or anything and that's where you come in.

My first problem is just with the truck. It's manual, (not sure if all pups are) and when I go to the clutch it really over-revs. From as far as I know, something wrongs with the carborator and the throttles sticking. Remember I know hardly anything about either of those problems so if I'm wrong can you diagnose the problem and if it sounds right can someone tell me how to fix it or lead me to a site telling me about it maybe with some pictures.

My second question is about starting to upgrade this thing. Money is scarce, so the cheapest things are the best. I want it to sound good and move good, visual can come in later. So if you can tell me what some of the cheapest things I can do to it to make it run and sound really well I'd appreciate it. And any tips on tuning it up would really help.

Sorry to start off with a long first post but I figure if anyone can help me out it's gonna be right here on the Isuzu forums.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:40 AM

I need a picture of the timming gears and marks so ai can replace timming belt

Old 01-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Givin a vehicle a tune up is always the first thing I do when getting a new vehicle. Plugs, wires, cap/rotor, air and oil filters, fuel filter (if needed). If it sounds bad, then check the whole exhaust system and fix any problems. You might need a new muffler, and if you wanna get fancy, then go with a racing one to sound good. As far as the problem with your revving when you go to the clutch. You need to be more detailed in your statement. You might have a bad throw out bearing?? And your clutch is slightly engaged when it shouldn't be.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 AM

I agree with Cooter85, a good tune-up will get you started in the right direction. I would recommend getting yourself a good maintenance manual for your truck, it will help you out immensely. Another place you might want to try is IsuzuPup.com, it caters specifically to the earlier Isuzu Pups like you have. They have an excellent <a class="forumlink" href="http://www.isuzupup.com/viewforum.php?f=18" target="_blank">General Troubleshooting and Maintenance</a> section and when you get the basics complete, a

<a class="forumlink" href="http://www.isuzupup.com/viewforum.php?f=14" target="_blank">General Performance Mods &amp; Upgrades</a> section.

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>