New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:36 AM

Help! I have recently bought a 89 Trooper. I am absolutely in love with it except for the fact that it has a major water leak. Everytime it rains my truck fills up with water. I have sealed every conceivable spot and still no luck. Has anyone got any input on this????

Old 12-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

so you cant tell where it is coming from??

Old 12-28-2005, 02:33 PM

Nope been over the truck with a fine tooth comb and can not figure out where it is coming from. The front floor is pooled with water but everywhere else is dry????? Makes no sense to me!

Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

ROLL BACK THE FT CARPET,TAKE A GARDEN HOSE TO THE WINDSHIELD AN DOWN THE WIPER COWL AN SEE IF YOU CAN GET AN IDEA ON WHERE ITS COMMING FROM.TAPE THE GARDEN HOSE TO THE ROOF IF YOU HAVE TO AN LET THE WATER SPRAY DOWN IT,COULD BE YOUR WINDSHIELD THAT IS LEAKING,ANY GLASS SHOP CAN RESEAL IT FOR YOU.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Tried that!

Old 12-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

TRY THE DOORS WATER CAN PASS DOWN THE RUN CHANNELS AN THROUGH THE DOOR PANELS.ESP IF SOMEONE EVER HAD THEM OFF AN DIDNT PUT BACK THE PLASTIC WATER DEFLECTORS.

AN QUESTION.AFTER YOU SOAK UP THE WATER ,CAN YOU HEAR WATER STILL SLOACHING AROUND THE FLOOR PAN,WHEN YOU KNOW YOU HAD GOTTON ALL THE WATER UP?LIKE THERES WATER BETWEEN SOMTHING THAT YOU CANT GET TOO?CAUSE I,M NOT SURE ABOUT THE OLDER TROOPPERS BUT THERE ARE BODY DRAIN HOLES UNDERNEATH THAT CLOG ,THEN IT FILLS UP THROUGH THE FLOOR PAN AN SPILLS OUT OF THE KICK PANELS BY YOUR FEET,RODEOS ARE FAMOUS FOR IT.TAKE LOOSE THE LEFT AN RIGHT KICK PANELS.YOU,LL SEE A LARGE HOLE.DRIVE THE VEHICLE AN MAKE HARD STOPS,CHECK TO SEE IF ANY WATER SPLASHES OUT ONTO YOUR FEET.Edited by: ISUZUGURU

Old 12-28-2005, 05:45 PM

I have not noticed any sloshing noises but I will definately try that. Thanks for the input!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

89 trooppers hardly ever had water leaks be sure you didnt over look something obvious. esp the windshield.do the water hose trick again an look around the windshield.an down the A PILLARS.an firewall under the hood,are all the gromets in place.that cables an wires pass through.it can be a very small leak at will be hard to see,even though its alot on the floor.if its only in the ft........doors windshield an body,even heater box where it connects to the firewall.take the hose to the firewall also.just a gentle spray,you dont want to create another leak[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

another thing came to mind,you recently bought this vehicle.has or does,this truck ever been in a accident?look for body damage around where the wheel well connects to the firewall.like welding marks.body shops are good at covering things up.look for burn holes from a torch,or just pin-hole size.but enough to let water through.most common water leaks are self inflicted.like stereo shops running amp cables though the fire wall.stupid stuff like that.

i,m really curious about what you find,thats why i wrote back so much.your yr troopper shouldnt have this problem.all the yrs at the dealership i havent seen one yet come in for a water leak of that yr.let me know what you find i have more ideas for you.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Thanks for all the info. My dad and I will be taking a look at it this weekend to see what we can find. I will let you know what the outcome is.

ps- This morning my truck all of a sudden started stalling on me everytime I cam to a stop. In have replaced the fuel filter, pump and lines since I have bought it so I feel confidant that that is not the problem- any other ideas???

Quick Reply: Water Leak