New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

My new project

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:26 AM

well i bought a 91 isuzu amigo last year was real fun to drive and looks great but lacked in power considering the small 2.6L engine i threw a rod and blew up the motor sometime in sept. was wondering if anyone ever put a ford 5.0L in one ive heard of 350 chevy's put in. so in next few weeks i will be modifing to fit the 302 small block if anyone has any suggestions i would like soom feed back. Drive safe.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Edited by: isuzu/5.0

Old 02-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

your biggest issue is going to be mounting it..also, what are you using for a rear diff and trans?

Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 PM

well im using the ford powertrain 302 windsor with c4 trans 5 speed with over drive by the way its a 2w drive so no transfer case is involved I have mesuared every thing seems to look like a good fit today i will be pulling the 2.6L and trans radiator and any thing else that may get in the way so i can put in the 302 and trans for good measure and see if i will have to weld motor or trans mounts if i get lucking i will know by the end of the day. thanks for your insight. will keep you all posted and as soon as im done I will tell all about the 1/4 mile time it gets me. have fun driving be safe.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:17 AM

by the way can anyone tell me what the specs on the rear end are for the amigo was planing on using the one already on it just getting a u-joint made to fit the c4 trans and the drive shaft from the isuzu might have to get it shortend (drive shaft)any help would be great thanks!

Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM

Hi. What a neat project! I did the same thing several years ago with a 302 and a Mazda ('82). That was a fun truck-acted and drove just like an early mustang-just didn't look like one. That motor isn't as good as the newer 5.0's though.The '95 and newer 5.0's have a front end on it that is about 2 1/2 inches shorter than the earlier ones-if you need the space that is. The Miata guys have a compact mounting system for the V8 also. I would guess that the rear is around a 4:10 or so. Put a shift kit in the C4. If you used a late T-Bird or Cougar engine and trans-you'd have the best of both worlds-including over drive and EFI.Put a RV cam in the engine for a little more RPM. It cuts down all that low end torque with the lower rear too. Anyway-good luck with the project. I'd love to keep abreast of your progress (in case I have to do the same). Pictures would be awsome! Jim>

Old 03-17-2006, 03:05 PM

Hey isuzu/5.0, I just re-read your post. I hope you know the C4 is a 3 speed automatic trans. The 5 speed manual trans is called a T5 trans. If you were going to go with an auto trans, then you might consider getting a late model 5.0/AOD (overdrive, 4speed auto) with the EFI injection system. It's easier to find in good condition and gets more MPG and power. Jim.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:37 PM

well its been a while since ive posted any thing i will have some pics tonight hopefully on what progress ive made which is not a whole lot im using a 86 302 H.O. motor fuel injected mild cam and trans is a aod 4 speed had some draw backs on project like pulling old motor trans and all unnessaserry stuff from under hood. having to build a plate for the motor for mounts using ford and gmc mounts and plates to mount motor but it will fit almost lined up to hole on frame missed it by 3in down and back will post pics off some work tonight

Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 AM

Well hopefully the pics are showing. [img]uploads/isuzu50/6F5F9_1.JPG[/img]

(1) Old motor and trans for Isuzu, just could not take my heavy foot.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

[img]uploads/isuzu50/B4F86_2.JPG[/img]

(2) My ride still pretty clean and had to replace the soft top I think it looks better with hard top. [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

[img]uploads/isuzu50/472Z1_3.JPG[/img]

(3) Passenger side view under hood notice Chevy motor mount modified to fit Ford sleeve mount still got to pull fuse box and relocate alarm horns.

[img]uploads/isuzu50/E9BE6_4.JPG[/img]

(4) Notice every thing gone except water reservoir on fender and brake system. Oh and the dirt. [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]

[img]uploads/isuzu50/Z53FD_5.JPG[/img]

5) Good view of motor, will it fit you?Can you see the essential tools by windshield Camel Wide Filters.Can't miss shorty hanging in back of pic.

(6) Having to modify Ford sleeves to be able to use plate for mount, damned dog ears will show plates later(my favorite part).[img]smileys/smiley15.gif[/img]

[img]uploads/isuzu50/B7A7D_7.JPG[/img]

(7) See it will fit and look shorties is the way to go on this application barely squeezes by e-brake though will have to bend lever about 1 inch to make sure cable dose not get to hot. Wow power steering a/c and water pump barely clear by 1/2 inch for now need to modify radiator mounting to get at least 1 inch clearance. No room for clutch fan using electric one between radiator and a/c coil nice spot for it. There is about 2 inches or more to play with there (motor mounted).

[img]uploads/isuzu50/491FE_8.JPG[/img]

(8) Motor looks small from this angle, this shorty for passenger side another small road block. Will have to relocate fuel and brake lines. Also remove the what-cha-ma-call-it for the clutch no longer needed till I can afford to buy good standard trans. Oh you noticed the sledge just in case it pisses me off it will fit. Motor will have to be taken back out for repairs, restoration, and some modification's before final install, and mount plates have to be trimmed up. But before motor is put back hood compartment has to be cleaned and repainted. So maybe in two, three or soweeks I will show more pics if you all are interested.

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]Hope you enjoyed. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] Happy driving. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]