New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

Hello world!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM

Hi! I just registered. I am a car enthusiastic and I live in Finland. I haveabout 25 cars from 70s, 80s and 90s . My friends consider most of them as useless junk. However, last autumn I finally hit the gold mine and bought -85 long wheelbase Isuzu Trooper, 3D TROOPER DLX-TURBO-STW-UBS522-4x4, JACUBS522E4466xxx.

The vechile has been deregistered at 2004 and has been waiting for an owner like me since then. I bought it for 150 EUR which equals about 225 USD. So far I have spent aboutUSD 1300for repairs, which makes it quite expensive old car. I consider it more like a hobby than an investment. The frame and body has been repaired now.The caris not worth much here, because of its weight. Diesel powered cars must pay diesel tax here in Finland. Diesel costs typically about USD 6.81/gallon, regular gasoline costs about USD 8.2/gallon. I am pretty sure the gasoline price will hit USD 10/gallon this year. When I hear complains about high gasoline prices in the US, you can imagine how much I care.. I suppose the additional diesel tax for that kind of car isnot far from1000USD/year, so the local government really hates heavy old diesel-powered cars.

I have plans to convert my Isuzu to use wood gas, which is completely tax free.I am really fond of the idea. The gas generated from dry wood contains 20% carbon monoxide and 20% hydrogen and is essentially greenhouse gas neutral way tomove. It contains 70% of the energy of gasoline. If burn forest is grown back, it will bind the same amount of carbon it released.In Finland, the forest is practically always grown back. See www.ekoautoilijat.fi, which iswoodgasenthustiacspage in Finnish. Seehttp://www.ekoautoilijat.fi/tekstit/kalustoesittely.htmfor pics.

After spending far too much for my car, I still have problems. The interior needs work, wiring harnes for rear lights is hanging disconnected and the worst, the car runs only as rear-wheel-driven, or front-wheel-driven when 4wd enabled.It beats me, never seen anythying like that before. I haven't tried to repair it yet. I really appreciated a good advice in this matter.

Anyways, it isgreatthat there is forum for Isuzu owners like us. Have a nice day!

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>