New Member Area New to IF? Stop in tell us about you...

1988 Isuzu trooper cutting fuel supply

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Default 1988 Isuzu trooper cutting fuel supply

Hi everyone. Just replaced my timing belt and tensioner, water pump, front crank seal, freeze plugs, and power steering hose . It sat for months. Good news is now it doesn't leak any fluids and sounds very good, especially for about 250K miles. Bad thing is I have to hotwire my fuel pump to make it run. A few days ago, I was driving along, the engine "hiccuped". It happened a couple minutes later, this time killing the engine, with about 4 dash lights on. This happened several times more after I restarted the vehicle and over a 45 min. to 1 hour span progressively worsened until the 4 dash lights refused to turn back off and the fuel pump refused to supply fuel to the engine. To get home I directly hotwired the fuel pump, but the 4 dash lights remained on anyway. Before the fuel supply quit altogether, there was a brief period where I could warm up the engine a little after it sat a short time, off, but when the engine temp gauge reached that highest operating temp and the needle started back down, at that instant there was a click and the dash lighs came on/vehicle shut down. Let it sit, off for a few minutes and it would warm back up and the same thing would happen all over again. Finally it refused to keep running until I hotwired the pump, temporarily. It seems to me this happened several years ago and i had to hotwire it then hunt down a fuel relay (plug in type) Then the problem went away. I can't remember if that was EXACTLY the same as back then or not. Anybody had this happen to them before? Im kinda lost here. Any thoughts are well appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this. John Hemphill

Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Default 1988 isuzu trooper cutting fuel supply

Hi. I didn't mention that this trooper has an I-MARK stamped on the fuel system and it is a 2.6 liter, inline 4 cylinder engine. Thanks. John

Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 AM

copy and paste this exact message in a new forum called planetisuzoo.com

Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Default 1988 Isuzu trooper cutting fuel supply

ive got the same exact problem with my 7 it starts up when the key is held to start but as soon as i let off the car dies about 3 seconds later mine sat for a long time i took it into the shop they checked everything and it all went well until the fuel got to the injectors i took them out and am waiting to order new ones did you happen to find out any info?