General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

speed, RPMS, Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Question speed, RPMS, Mileage

I bought a used 1999 rodeo 4x4, v6, 5 speed to save on fuel costs and not have to drive my F250 on short trips around town and back and forth to my hunting club. I will be towing my ATV on an all aluminum trailer back and forth to my club. Which is 20 minutes from my house. And another that is 1.5 hrs away.

It has 160k miles and runs like a top. When I bought it, it had 31 inch tires on it and the AC did not work. Fixed the AC and I went back to a stock wheel and 245/70/16 tire. Also I have noted that Warn hubs that lock in and out have been installed. I presently have them locked out of 4wd. It has also been lifted 1 to 1.5 inches.

This past Sunday I went to run errands in another larger town 45 mins away. I was also towing a 5x8 all aluminum trailer (not very heavy). I feel the ride was quite good for a vehicle of this size. 85% all of the driving was on 4 lane highways with very little stopping and starting.

I am worried now that the transmission has been gone into and/ or possibly the rear ends. First gear is surprisingly very low. Is this normal? You can actually start off better in second. What does this sound like to you? Normal maybe? I really do not know. My girlfriend has a Honda Pilot which is a little bigger than the Rodeo and it seems to get better mileage.

In NC you can run 10mph over the speed limit on the highways here and never get pulled. So at 80 mph I was turning 3200 rpms. Does this sound about right to you folks who have owned Rodeos far longer than I? My F250 does 80mph at 2700 rpms. The speedometer is right compared to my GPS. It is right on the money! Still a big disappointment in the gas mileage so far. Around town it seems better than my F250.

Look, any input you fine folks my have will be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to figure out if the trade off is going to be worth it. Diesel fuel is 50 cents higher per gallon than regular unleaded gasoline.

Best regards
Steve B

Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 AM

Needing to be released first gave me an impression that there was a safety issue with the part and it was being tested until it was deemed safe, but an air conditioner??
Also the air conditioner would probably not be made by Isuzu, but some other company. Check for another name on the unit itself and check the net for the company to get answers.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:05 AM

HUH???? What has the A?C got to do with gas mileage? Very little. The new ac pump came off a 99 Passport. Same compresser.

You sure you have the right post with the answer you just gave?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 AM

It depends on the age they started and the packs of cigarettes they consume. But they sure are a candidate if they don't quit. And if they live with you, you could get lung cancer too,. because sometimes the one who smell it are most likely to get it than the ones using it.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 AM

gald to meet you

isuzu truck parts